Small tape measure

I use a Fastcap tape measure that I like because it isn't real heavy in my apron but it is 16 ft lefty righty model.  I don't know if they make a 12 foot.  They make several different configurations - lefty-righty, imperial on one side metric on the other and a couple of others.

I haven't found a tape that I like better than a 16' FatMax.  I use them at the lumberyard and I do mean they get USED.  They're robust and last a very long time.  They're too bulky to walk around with one in your pocket, but I don't know who does that anyway.  At the yard I keep one clipped to my pocket, and I have about a dozen laying around the shop.  They are the toughest and longest-lasting tapes I've ever used.  Plastic doesn't always mean low quality.  Festool is plastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Stanley 12' if i'm in the shop its in my back right pocket :)

Yeah, the Stanley 3.5m/12 ft is an excellent tape measure.  I have a few from the machine shop I used to work at, verified calibrated (lol, long since their recalib date though).  Small enough that they would accidentally end up in my pocket and go home with me from time to time. 

• Like 1

A second (or third) on the Fascap lefty/righty.  I use the 16 foot model.  I like the older stanley lever locks for my outside work in 25 or 30 ft length, but the blade marking changed on those and I don't care for them as much anymore.

Jeff in KC

A second (or third) on the Fascap lefty/righty.  I use the 16 foot model.  I like the older stanley lever locks for my outside work in 25 or 30 ft length, but the blade marking changed on those and I don't care for them as much anymore.

Jeff in KC

I have the fastcap 12ft and the belt clip fell off the first day (different design than bigger ones)

I like the bigger one I think I have the 16ft but it's pretty bulky for EDC and the clip on that one doesn't hook tigh enough, if I put it on my overalls pocket and bend over it falls out. Happens all day such a pain (reason for this thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, treesner said:

the belt clip fell off the first day

Interestingly enough, the first thing I do is take the belt clip off.  I use a shop apron and keep the tape in the pocket so I take the clip off to get it out of the way.  Strictly personal preference.

I have a Stanley 12' and a Fatmax 16'.  The stanley will fit in a pocket, but the fatmax feels lighter.

I like them both, but would probably say the fatmax has a smoother mechanism.

The carpet guy who measured our basement had a Milwaukee and said they were really nice and easy to use but he kept breaking the tapes as he bends them a lot doing inside measurements.   But he said he just takes them back to home depot and gets a new one.

Ive always loved the original Fatmax tapes (the only thing stanley does right). Only drawback is theyre thick n heavy but ive been abusing one for like 3 years. And its the undisputed king of tape measure sword fighting!

I also love Milwaukees small tapes. Theyre suprisingly robust and well designed. Avoid the large and/or magnetic hooks unless youre a framer.

Lately ive been using the lighter duty Craftsman 16' tape (black and grey from osh) because it fits nicely in my Occidental tape and knife holder. Theyre no Fat Max but i find them nice to use, durable and relatively accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Like Eric I have several.  My favorite is a 16' metal cased Stanley that I used working in a lumber yard in Hawaii in the early 1970's.  Still accurate.  At that time the case was metal and Stanley sold replacement tapes, so if you damaged the tape you could replace and carry on. 

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, ChrisG-Canada said:

I use one of these and find it works great - http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32562&cat=1,43513,43003

Works great and is small and not too bulky like lots of other tapes.

Tapes are related to pencils; no matter how many you have they are always somewhere else so I have a few of these in "right to left".  One at the bench, one magnetically stuck to the tablesaw fence and one in my pocket. 

I have a belt-clip pouch I wear when selecting and breaking down material and it has a 16 footer in it along with a carpenter's pencil and some chalk but, that's all work of a rougher sort.

Check out the Milwaukee line of tapes.  I think they're made with some sort of fiber material that reduces the bending, twisting and eventually ripping.    

My day job requires a tape and there are times when I'll use it for hours and hours checking construction work.  I started with a Stanley Fat Max and it lasted maybe a month before ripping.  Switched to a Milwaukee and I was surprised at how much a good tape Improved my day. 

It's the only Milwaukee brand tool I own and now I have one for both work and my home shop.