Sawstop owners

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I don't own a Sawstop, but I never leave the shop with a machine plugged in.

Seems like a good policy to me.  I like to be certain the business end of a machine is definitely dead before doing any set up.

I'm more lax than I used to be in this regard, but when the kids were younger I'd be sure to shut off the breaker to the subpanel in my shop.  Everything in the shop except lights were fed from that subpanel so it was a good way to shut everything down.  just in case

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

Thanks guys!! That's what I will do. 

Regarding unplugging machines...my shop is a unattached structure with two sets of keys one in my pocket and  the other in a safe just In case I am out of town and my wife would need to get in there so I do not shut the power off or unplug any machines.

As always great advice and if my tools were in a shared space my practices would be very different.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Not to spread panic, but using a circuit breaker as a disconnect switch is not recommended. The high frequency of operations reduces its usable life as a circuit protection device.

If you have an actual disconnect switch at the breaker panel, please carry on, there is nothing to see here.

I had to replace my 100 amp main breaker in the garage off the main  after about 13years.

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Not to spread panic, but using a circuit breaker as a disconnect switch is not recommended. The high frequency of operations reduces its usable life as a circuit protection device.

If you have an actual disconnect switch at the breaker panel, please carry on, there is nothing to see here.

There are switching rated circuit breakers, but they're not generally available for residential style panels.

I had to replace my 100 amp main breaker in the garage off the main  after about 13years.

Exactly. All the breakers in my house are fine after 25 years, and I know of several original panels at my place of business that are going strong at nearly 40 years.

On the other hand, actually tripping the breaker from circuit overload can damage it in only a cycle or three.