Jet clamp rail stand is taller than jaws?

Hello,

I have some 40" and 24" Jet parallel clamps. I was having some strange problems where panels that I knew were dead flat were rocking on the clamp bars as I was setting up to glue another piece to the panel. After some investigating, I noticed that the rail stands are actually longer than the faces (below the bar), so when they are used there is a significant gap between the jaw and the table. See attached clamp_flat.jpg for how the jaw sits on the table without the rail stand, and then clamp_lifted.jpg to see it with the rail stand attached.

Is this expected? It basically means that if I don't have all of the clamps oriented the same way (which I understand to be a common clamping strategy) that I won't have a flat surface (the problem shown in the picture is actually doubled).

I actually contacted Jet about this and they said that the rail stands are designed to be taller than the standard jaws to allow for easy adjustment of the dynamic jaw to the object being clamped and that I should indeed put all of the rail stands on the same side of the panel. Do you guys agree with this?

Any other thoughts? My plan for now is to simply not use the rail stands, which seems like an odd plan :).

Thanks!

David

clamp_flat.JPG

clamp_lifted.JPG

I also have all my handles facing the same way.  On panel glue ups I alternate the clamps, one under the panel one over, one under, one over and so on.  The extra little stands on my clamps usually just stay at the end of the clamp,  I don't really use them.

On my Bessys the only place you can have the stands is at the end.

Even though I can reach both sides of my bench or assembly table, I too have all my handles facing me.  I don't want to reach over or walk around to work clamps during a glue up any more than I have to.

I have torsion beams in 5' and 3' lengths that get used all sorts of ways including as clamp elevators during glue ups.

Beams (16).jpg

I also have identically milled pieces of glued-up 2x4 blanks in various lengths

bench helpers.jpg

that I use as stands/supports despite having plenty of the commercial ones around due to buying "clamp sets" when they were on sale.  I find the commercial ones fussy and they all live in an old gym bag hanging from a hook in the shop since I can't convince myself that I'll never use them ;-)