Glass insert for live edge table

Anyone have experience making a live edge table with a custom glass insert?  I'm curious about the details and I'm concerned about durability and safety in case glass gets broken...

The attached picture is just an example I found doing a simple Google search but I am looking to try something similar with one or more 2" live edge slabs I have.  In this example photo I'm only considering the table surface - I have different ideas for the table legs and Table.jpg.83da08681bff90c27e47046e36fa9159.jpgstructure.

I know how to design the wood portion of the table but I do have some questions about the glass...

1) What type/kind/style of glass should I consider (plate, tempered, laminated, etc.)?

2) What thickness is appropriate (¼", ⅜", etc.)?  

3 How is the glass custom shaped?  For this style of table the glass has to be custom shaped to coordinated somewhat with whatever the live edge happens to be so I assume a custom template or pattern gets made for the glass. How is the glass fabricated/cut to the template shape?  

4) What else don't I know that I need to consider before stating a project like this?  Your experience is much valued and appreciated...

Looks like a knock-off of what Greg Klassen does (http://gregklassen.com/).  If you've not checked him out, do yourself a favor and do so.  He's not too far from me, nice younger guy and has a cool story.  Really respect what he's accomplished.  Has rec'd tons of notoriety due to his blue glass river tables and has almost a cult following.  I have heard from some local folks that are in his circle that he's had a few problems with wood movement relative to the glass, just now sure to what extent.  You might want to bear that in mind, though.

I would mount both slabs with screws in slots to allow plenty of expansion & contraction. For almost 40 years I have been using Lexcel crystal clear caulk to install glass in cabinet doors. It cleans up with mineral spirits. It might take a few days to cure but it never lets go of the glass or the wood like silicone does and it remains flexible too. I have seen it for sale at Lowes around $10 for tube.

Another way to cut those shapes is sandblasting. They make a thick rubber template & stick it to the glass. The sand cuts through the glass but bounces off the rubber.