Festool HK 55 or a track saw

wareaglewoodworker

I hesitated to post this question because I know it has potential to flame out of control.   But here goes...

Last fall I decided my next tool purchase would likely be a tracksaw.  I was considering the Makita for the value but when the Festool HK 55 came out It really caught my eye.  The miter system it offers is unique and seems like it has potential to expand the saws capability beyond just cutting parts out of sheet goods.  Going that route I can see a few drawbacks.  1. I'll need to buy the tracks to perform the aforementioned task of breaking down sheet-goods.  2. The off-cut side of the cuts will not be as clean due to the lack of a splinter-guard.

Are there any gotchas I'm missing with using the HK 55 for sheet good breakdown or other advantages I would get with a tracksaw?  Anyone out there have experience with the HK 55 and a TS 55 to compare the two?

I did not know you could take the track off the HK and use as a track saw? I thought you just got that mini track ... 

Also, I picked up the Makita track saw and I would say it is a great little saw for the money, especially when you add a 15' cord to it instead of that crap 8' original. I think you should still take a look into the Makita unless you are looking at the TS 75, then that would be a no brainer. 

28 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

I did not know you could take the track off the HK and use as a track saw? I thought you just got that mini track ... 

The HK will work on the FS or FSK guide rails.  

To the OP, my opinion is if you are a carpenter get the HK if you do mainly cabinets or fine woodworking then the TS.  The HK will plunge and is sort of a replacement for a TS but the TS is more at home plunging and the dust collection is significantly better.  The TS is also certainly not limited to sheet goods.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  A little more information on how I plan to use the saw.  I do most of my breakdown of sheetgoods/roughstock outside in the carport portion of my shed.  So great dust collection is a nice to have but not as paramount as it would be if I was doing my work in a confined space or a client's house.  Speaking of the shed and carport.  I have two framing projects in my near future for both of my sheds.  Both will also likely need new roofs as well.  That's one of the things that made me start considering the HK/HKC.  It seems taylor-made for that type of work then it can retire to a life of leisure breaking down rough stock and sheetgoods. :)

Dave,  I have you to thank for introducing me to the HKC late last year.  You put the festool bug in my ear for sure with that review.

• Like 1