Deck Support question

socoj2

I have a Deck that attaches to a unsupported bow window. On either side of this sistered 2x8 are 2x8 joist that run the entire length of the deck and have a column and attached to the side of the house.

To me the 3 internal supports are largely worthless because its hunt to the joist.

What say Woodworking talk to removing the 3 internal supports?

?ui=2&ik=3d033c8aed&view=fimg&th=15b30a85e49a7a54&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=15b30a84901e33865261&attbid=ANGjdJ_mbQtC_qBMUGbQEaH1Vwv2tOTqov7YW-qXBehSejA5_5j5ZdFiSTjXaHRIMovcZK8sjASCG8qR58Lu92y5CqiCvrT_xKEUwjRqid2V4Bb1-9TYeOSDg4ynjeg&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1491170021063&rm=15b30a85e49a7a54&zw&atsh=1

Removing the pillars requires a change in the whole structure from what I see. You'd need to double or triple what runs out from the secured areas and then double or triple what spans the window gap. Tom is right. Find the span you are trying to bridge and it is all in the manuals. 

Just now, wdwerker said:

It looks like the posts carry the weight (and they are braced) so the house attachment is just for stability.

Around the window is correct. because they cant secure it to the an ARC. 

On either side of the ARC are Double 2x8 sister-ed together, and then outside of the arc is another sister-ed 2x8 spanning the portion of the ARC which is basically a floating ledger.

A few things... unsupported bay windows are stupid. There is no way your deck is higher than the house floor system, so cantilever the sub floor. That single transverse 2x8 is not rated for that span. Double 2x8s are likely not rated to support the weight added from that span. Verify the deck is properly lagged to the home before even considering changes. Honestly, a framer will complete this in a day and will carry liability. Framing material is cheap. You will spend less than  $600 in my area and it will be done faster than you can do it. 

The post are vital parts of the support system. The beam on top of the joists cannot span the distance if you remove the interio posts.  Whileit may look like the floor joists would be supported by the house, they won't be because they are interupted by the dbl 2x8 beam.  This will act like a hinge if the posts are removed.

• Like 1

If it were my deck I definitely wouldn't be removing those posts. That middle one is probably taking quite a bit of weight, and you would have major sagging issues without it. Over that kind of span the 2x8 is nowhere near enough to support the deck.

No one suggesting removal is talking about anything less than a redesign of three major carrying members. If you picture this like a stairway cutout, you see this all the time. I may be off about swapping with doubled 2x12, it might require 14" LVL. It might be cost prohibitive. Talk to someone in your area who gets these inspected. Your windows are low enough that a deeper framing set will not impede. 

Yeah lets calm down im not going to go cutting down Columns. Im mainly asking if its possible or if i needed to reinforce the spans etc.

Looking at the building code for GA. the middle one has to stay but i need to do some measuring if i can get ride of the other 2.

IRC"s latest deck code is about ten years newer than that collapse.  Many people have died on deck collapses since then.

Current IRC code is much more specific than anything proor . There may be more stringent codes on areas where earthquakes are.a high probability, but I"d say the one in question is not in one of those areas.

This is not something to be decided by guesswork by a homeowner, or on an Internet forums.

I would not worry about it only if all the construction details meet the current IRC deck code requirements.  It goes Way beyond any deck code prior to it.  The reason it does is because many people have died.

I've done this stuff for a living for 43 years now.

Typing from phone, so please excuse errors.  Between auto correct and my tough fingers, it won't get much better.  Storm took modem