Tommy Mac's Rough Cut is dead

socoj2

Really looking forward to his other offerings. One of my favorite builders, always brutally honest and refuses to cater to anyone.

His bombe build is easily my favorite set of videos. Some of them are in crap quality, but got better as the series progressed. I've watched the whole thing at least twice all the way through. His live videos on FB are also great. I can't wait to see what he does on his own terms with quality recording gear! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I honestly couldn't get on board with him.  I never liked his style, or maybe it's his mannerisms, or maybe his hair...

One of these days I will be able to get past the accent but until then......... that BAHstin accent grates my nerves. Sorry, Tommy!

• Like 1

I watched most of the shop build, and found it entertaining and informative. On the other hand, it was so bro-ey and going out of his way to be a dude. Maybe that was marketing's way of  appealing to the masses? Get this non-gray beardless guy out there and have him end every sentence with dude, man, wicked, bro. 

That said, free content that is fairly well produced is always appreciated while i eat breakfast or lunch on the weekends. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

I watched most of the shop build, and found it entertaining and informative. On the other hand, it was so bro-ey and going out of his way to be a dude. Maybe that was marketing's way of  appealing to the masses? Get this non-gray beardless guy out there and have him end every sentence with dude, man, wicked, bro. 

That said, free content that is fairly well produced is always appreciated while i eat breakfast or lunch on the weekends. 

watch his Facebook live feeds. thats literally the way he is.

• Like 2

I'll admit that his personality on Rough Cut can be a little hard to take, but I think that's mostly because the producers force him to be overly enthusiastic and energetic and jovial...and it comes out the wrong way.

Watch his bombe series on his site.  The production quality is low but so what...he proves himself to be an exceptional woodworker and he's much more comfortable and laid back.  I find him to be a pretty funny guy, actually...when he's allowed to be himself.  I like him, generally.

• Like 1

I've met Tommy a few times, and his enthusiasm is legit.  I do understand a lot of the criticism of the show, but - he's at the mercy of a 30min time slot.  blame the reality of television.

FWIW...I hope it's "retired" and not "dead". Semantics, perhaps, but still...

• Like 1

I always enjoyed rough cut. Let's face it, there isn't a whole lot of woodworking on TV. I'm not going to complain when there's a guy who is an objectively talented woodworking making stuff on TV. Besides, Tommy Mac is way better than that guy from the American Woodshop. He gives me the creeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I watched him a couple of times and while I don't care for his show he is a talented guy. As for the guy from American Woodshop, he makes me want to ask, "Is there a school within 500 yards of the soundstage?" Sorry but I agree with Dknapp on that one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

And next up for your viewing pleasure, building a rustic napkin holder on Rough Cut with April Wilkerson.....

I will be away from the forum for awhile, on my knees praying to god this doesn't happen.  

Maybe woodcraft didn't like he went all Euro kit in the new shop.  I actually think he is a great woodworker, the show couldn't really show his skills off because of the audience (guess).  Maybe Norm is ready to make a comeback.

Id like to see a Woodwork Road show, like the garage show. They show up at someones house, help them align their damn Jointer, and complete a project. etc teach someone how to do dove tails and give them a set of Narex chisels. Etc etc. Real world problems.

I hated chairs and turning shows because well im dont have a lathe or want one. and chairs are way past my skillset.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, socoj2 said:

Real world problems.

To which there are hundreds of videos and magazine articles explaining in mind numbing detail. The main reason I don't subscribe to magazines is I'm so sick of seeing the same thing in every magazine. Same thing with car magazines. How many friggen magazines does someone need about installing headers?

I'll admit that his personality on Rough Cut can be a little hard to take, but I think that's mostly because the producers force him to be overly enthusiastic and energetic and jovial...and it comes out the wrong way.

Watch his bombe series on his site.  The production quality is low but so what...he proves himself to be an exceptional woodworker and he's much more comfortable and laid back.  I find him to be a pretty funny guy, actually...when he's allowed to be himself.  I like him, generally.

Im gonna have to check that out because ive seen just a few bits of Rough Cut and almost didnt believe he was an actual woodworker. The Billy Mayes hand gestures and speech were just too much for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

On 4/8/2017 at 8:33 PM, socoj2 said:

Id like to see a Woodwork Road show, like the garage show. They show up at someones house, help them align their damn Jointer, and complete a project. etc teach someone how to do dove tails and give them a set of Narex chisels. Etc etc. Real world problems.

I think this would make an interesting show, or online video series.  Show what can be done with the tools someone already owns, even if they're missing some major piece(s) of equipment.  e.g., jointer but no planer, table saw + trim router only.  Situations most of us can relate to, because we've been through it (or are currently going through it).