Tommy Mac's Rough Cut is dead

socoj2

2 hours ago, Jason S. said:

Show what can be done with the tools someone already owns, even if they're missing some major piece(s) of equipment.

The idea of getting into woodworking on a shoe string budget baffles me. There are certain things you need in order to make things. A better way to say it... There are a very few things you actually need to do in order to make woodworking successful. 

1. You need to be able to process material. Joint and plane- This can be by machine or by hand. I did this by hand for a while, and then bought a jointer and planer. I actually bought the planer first. Doing this properly by hand requires more time and money, just buy a jointer. @Eric. was right... 

2. You need to be able to cut stuff. Again, by hand or machine. Get a bandsaw. 

3. You need to be able to join stuff. Say no to pocket screws. 

Once you can do these three things with accuracy and repeatability, then you can make things. Until then, you might as well not turn the lights on in your shop.

• Like 1

I imagine Tim Allen hosting Rough Cut. Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Llama said:

3. You need to be able to join stuff. Say no to pocket screws.

I don't mind pocket screws -- with covers. Otherwise the holes can be ugly and often difficult to hide.  (Hidden is good, too.)

Just now, collinb said:

I imagine Tim Allen hosting Rough Cut. Just a thought.

I don't mind pocket screws -- with covers. Otherwise the holes can be ugly and often difficult to hide.  (Hidden is good, too.)

They (pocket screws) have their place. Not every joint requires them though. There is almost always a better way. 

I feel like there are enough "pocket holes and milk paint" shows on HGTV, but that could just be collective bias, as I don't actually watch HGTV. I'd love for there to be more real woodworking shows out there. You can complain about Norm's 22 routers and door-sander, but he still got a lot of people interested in the craft. My guess is that the same is true for Tommy, and his bro-ness. TV isn't the medium for in-depth projects, but it still has a lot of reach.

Really none of my opinion matters, as I won't be watching whatever comes out.

• Like 1