Laughable

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

I can't wait for the next economic recession.....

Now that you say this...it makes me wonder if and how much the 2008 recession had to do with the rustic movement we're currently enduring.  People had less money but still needed a table at which to eat...let's just lower our standards and call it trendy.  Or maybe it had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric. said:
Now that you say this...it makes me wonder if and how much the 2008 recession had to do with the rustic movement we're currently enduring.  People had less money but still needed a table at which to eat...let's just lower our standards and call it trendy.  Or maybe it had nothing to do with it.

Ha ha "grab them pallets we need some shelving.

Now that you say this...it makes me wonder if and how much the 2008 recession had to do with the rustic movement we're currently enduring.  People had less money but still need a table at which to eat...let's just lower our standards and call it trendy.  Or maybe it had nothing to do with it.

Except that the more rustic something is, the more expensive it is. Maybe it has to do with people who did ok through the recession feeling guilty and buying cheap looking but still expensive crap in order to fit in. Or maybe people just have crappy taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Dknapp34 said:

Except that the more rustic something is, the more expensive it is.

Yeah, NOW it is...now that it's trendy.  But it didn't start that way.  It started as frugality and morphed into something truly horrible.  It's like buying ox-tail stew at some five star restaurant.  Created by the poor, exploited by the rich.  Always nasty.

• Like 1

I will blame social media for this type of stuff, Pinterest, Facebook and others.  People that done know anything likes crap like this and the wave to no taste builds. 

The thing that gets me, is how about doing some research.  Like finding out when to use the inlay.  But the nail is a nice touch, but glue might have been the best choice.  

57 minutes ago, socoj2 said:

I had to quit the local facebook group.

"wanting rustic table"

500 replies showing tables made out of 2x8s from home depot and OMG So beautiful comments 

I see that crap all the time on facebook, every piece of wood nailed down, wood movement, what's thattttt

2 hours ago, socoj2 said:

I had to quit the local facebook group.

"wanting rustic table"

500 replies showing tables made out of 2x8s from home depot and OMG So beautiful comments 

Same in my area.  I'm tempted to try to raise some funds for new tools by building a couple simple tables out of quality lumber with quality joinery, but when the uninformed see my price next to the price of crap built from crap, I probably wouldn't find any buyers.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Doomwolf said:

You can never make something truly idiot proof, because they just keep making better idiots.

I've always preferred the term "idiot resistant"....because - let's face it - idiots can be pretty clever at times.

Same in my area.  I'm tempted to try to raise some funds for new tools by building a couple simple tables out of quality lumber with quality joinery, but when the uninformed see my price next to the price of crap built from crap, I probably wouldn't find any buyers.

This is the same struggle I face everyday. I've had a high top bar table (nothing fancy) up for over 2 yrs now. It's reasonably priced but yet I get low ball offers all the time with the response "I can make that for next to nothing" so I respond with "Make it. If yours is better then why would you need mine?" I hate stupid people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How about all the faux milk paint finishing? Take a possibly nice older dresser and glob it up with this faux antique milk painting technique.

I think most people have genuinely no idea how to judge furniture. Just out of curiosity, I put up a side table I made on the local Facebook market, splayed and taper legs, nothing that would blow this crowd away, but very solidly built and attractive. I asked for $150, and got crickets, while the same crowd was stumbling over themselves to buy other pieces of crap.

24 minutes ago, Isaac said:

How about all the faux milk paint finishing? Take a possibly nice older dresser and glob it up with this faux antique milk painting technique.

I think most people have genuinely no idea how to judge furniture. Just out of curiosity, I put up a side table I made on the local Facebook market, splayed and taper legs, nothing that would blow this crowd away, but very solidly built and attractive. I asked for $150, and got crickets, while the same crowd was stumbling over themselves to buy other pieces of crap.

Even in great furniture there is an element of fakery. Great read Graham got me reading. 

Is it genuine?: A guide to the identification of eighteenth-century English furniture https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805510419/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_g7K6ybSPVHA1D

• Like 1