Dust Particle Protection

Could you guys recommend a decent mask for dust particle protection from hardwoods, especially hickory? It's for small work with hand tools and sanding, but I assume there are different grades of particle size that some masks will or won't filter. Not sure if the hardware store stuff is even worth spending a dime on...

The Trend AirShield Pro is what I use - a powered respirator. It is expensive but works exceedingly well even with beards - I say what price your lungs?.

The 3M range of reusable masks are used by some woodworkers. Still expensive and you have the choice of half masks and full masks. 3M also make powered respirators similar to the Trend.

I use the 3M 7503, with 2297 filters. They're similar to the pink ones, but have lower breathing resistance and longer life. The organic nuisance filtering is enough for Poly or Lacquer finishing, which is a nice bonus.

The 7500 series works fine with my beard (cover the filters, inhale, it sticks to your face) though your mileage may vary.

14 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

I use the 3M 7503, with 2297 filters. They're similar to the pink ones, but have lower breathing resistance and longer life. The organic nuisance filtering is enough for Poly or Lacquer finishing, which is a nice bonus.

The 7500 series works fine with my beard (cover the filters, inhale, it sticks to your face) though your mileage may vary.

Bon....looks like you're wearying an el-cheapo dust mask....hehehehehe!

-Ace-

• Like 1

One question; do 3M 7500 series and Miller Electric work with longer beards, or too long means it won't seal? From what I've seen it can be hard to determine if the seal is full on some people, since they use smell tests, but would these two pass for wood dust particles with a mid-length beard?

I'd hesitate to recommend the 7500 if you have a prodigious beard. But best to try it yourself. Assuming you live in the states, buy one at home depot and do a pressure test. If it doesn't seal well, returns are free and painless. Even a full face respirator could have trouble if you resemble ZZ Top.

The resident expert on the matter will tell you that NO mask will work properly if you have any kind of facial hair. OSHA requires workers in seriously dangerous environments to be clean shaven to get the most efficient seal. I refuse to believe that even with a beard there isn't still a huge benefit in wearing a respirator and every guy has to decide how much they're gonna let wood dust control their lives. I have a short beard and my mask makes a decent seal...I can feel it. And I won't be shaving my beard to chase that last 10% of efficiency...even though the experts say I must.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1