Cheap chisels and a honing guide

aknotsdeath

I have both the Eclipse and the Veritas Mk. 2. I find the Veritas to be fiddly and I have had issues with the roller freezing up. I suppose it is ok. 

My first Eclipse copy was hard to close and now has been recycled by the trash company. I bought another and made sure that the new one clamps correctly. I modified it and it seems to work well.

When I have a.couple hundred that I don't have to use for something else, I am getting the Lie Neilsen. I used it at.one of their tool events and I think it is worth the money.

I glued a.scrap of leather to a scrap of plywood for a strop. Smear in some green compound.and presto! An el cheapo strop that works well. I use it for touch up between sharpening.

If I was starting from scratch, I would get 600 and 1000 grit diamond plates, a 4000 - 6000 grit waterstone and a strop with the Lie Neilsen guide. 

If the edge is really butched up, I have a Worksharp that regrinds the edge very quickly.

Hope you find what works for you.

Starting out i have sandpaper. And I can see why a lot of people get frustrated with this setup. I miss the precision instruments I'm used to. Not sure if I can get decent results but we will see. I just mainly have an issue keeping things straight.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sandpaper will get you there. But if you have a really damaged edge, I'd go buy a $10 set of 'diamond plates' from Harbor Freight to regrind it, over course sandpaper.

Those plates actually work pretty well, they are just tiny, and max out at something like 600 grit.

It's on the list. So is a grinding wheel just for a few of the hand me down ones. I think they were used to pull nails :/ How long do they tend to last for?

I'm not sure if it's been said already but a limitation of the MKII is the thickness of the blade which the jig accepts. I have one of the cheaper "side clamping" style sharpening jigs (I think it was labeled Robert Larson) for my mortise chisels which are THICK.

I wouldn't be surprised if Veritas has a supplemental attachment for the MKII which has the capacity to grip mortise chisels, but that's why I have one of those Eclipse clones.

I only have a couple of mortise chisels. Everything else gets honed on the MKII.

4 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

It's on the list. So is a grinding wheel just for a few of the hand me down ones. I think they were used to pull nails :/ How long do they tend to last for?

If you mean the HF diamond plates, I've had some for a couple of years, they still work fine. Don't use them all that often, though. A grinding wheel should last for many years.

If you mean the HF diamond plates, I've had some for a couple of years, they still work fine. Don't use them all that often, though. A grinding wheel should last for many years.

Oh I need the whole actual motor and all still hahaha. But yes I imagine those disks last a while.