Jorgensen is back!

Mark J

12 minutes ago, Chet K said:

The only concern I would have is Great Star Tools is a Chinese company.  Hopefully they will keep the quality the same but I have to wonder if that will be the case.

A sensible concern. Hopefully they're more like TTI (owner of Milwaukee Tools) than some other companies. That said, it's not like SBD (an American company) couldn't ruin a brand's quality all on their own.

• Like 2

A sensible concern. Hopefully they're more like TTI (owner of Milwaukee Tools) than some other companies. That said, it's not like SBD (an American company) couldn't ruin a brand's quality all on their own.

I thought TTI only owned Ryobi and Ridgi d? They make all the portable power tools about 45 mins from me in Anderson. This is really nice when they have their annual sale to clear out some of the warehouses around town.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

I thought TTI only owned Ryobi and Ridgi d? They make all the portable power tools about 45 mins from me in Anderson. This is really nice when they have their annual sale to clear out some of the warehouses around town.

TTI owns Milwaukee fully, alongside Homelite. They license the Ridgid and Ryobi brand names, as well as AEG, from those companies. Ryobi Japan and Ryobi USA/UK/Aus are completely unrelated tool lines. They also own a couple vacuum companies (Dirt Devil, Hoover, Vax, Oreck). You can see the whole list here.

It can be interesting to see who owns what. There's a good article about this over on ToolGuyd, though it needs to be updated fro SBD's recent acquisitions.

• Like 1

It is a shame the new company isn't keeping that factory running.  Among other things it would be an astute political move for the Chinese.  

The guy I spoke to used to be employed by the old company and had taken a job with the new one.  He seemed to be in the know, i.e. not just someone answering the customer service line.  He claims the new company's focus is on quality, etc.  We'll just have to wait and see.  My jury is out till I can look a products on the shelf and compare to the ones I own.

I doubt it.  I pass by their Chicago factory and headquarters (where the good stuff was made) every day on the way to work.  It is a ghost town.  This is simply some chinese company buying their name and designs. 

That is too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, Mike. said:

I doubt it.  I pass by their Chicago factory and headquarters (where the good stuff was made) every day on the way to work.  It is a ghost town.  This is simply some chinese company buying their name and designs

That'd be my guess, but we'll see I suppose.

5 hours ago, Mike. said:

I doubt it.  I pass by their Chicago factory and headquarters (where the good stuff was made) every day on the way to work.  It is a ghost town.  This is simply some chinese company buying their name and designs. 

The factory/company has been shut down long enough I'm not surprised. Could still be good tools, JET clamps are made in China after all.

• Like 1

The factory/company has been shut down long enough I'm not surprised. Could still be good tools, JET clamps are made in China after all.

God I hate the Jet clamps. Not because they are made in China, just because they are terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jet clamps have positives and negatives. The head can be a bear to adjust sometimes. But slightly larger head and octagonal handle do allow you to crank down some serious pressure. However I still reach for my Best K body Revos first, then my old K bodies, then the Jets.

I've got quite a collection of Jorgensen Pony bar clamps, some are 30 + years old and still work fine.

On 4/14/2017 at 10:36 AM, BonPacific said:

JET clamps are made in China after all.

And the review of jet clamps bought in the last few years are very inconsistent. I have 12 on my wall purchased in the last 4 years, 4 have blue tape on the bar to remind me not to grab them unless others are used up as they operate like crap.