Can't seem to get super sharp on DMT plates and Veritas guide - help

HickWillis

I recently picked up 3 DMT diamond plates (Coarse, Fine, X Fine) and the Veritas Mk II honing guide to sharpen up my chisels and plane irons.  Before this I had nothing.  While I am able to get them sharper than they were, I can't seem to get that super sharp feeling to them.  My chisels don't seem to pare/chop well and my planes seem to create a lot of tear out despite checking grain direction, opening/closing mouth, and adjusting blade width.  I feel like I am just missing something here.  Here is my process:

1 - Sharpen on Corase to Fine to X Fine.  I do about 20-30 passes on each plate.

2 - Turn the micro bevel knob on the guide and do a few passes on the X Fine

3 - Take the iron out and do a few passes on the backside to remove the bur.  I've tried the ruler method too.

4 - Use a leather strop to finish

Pictures?

One suggestion - color the entire bevel with a sharpie, then take 3 or 4 strokes across your finest stone. Check to be sure the marker is worn away evenly, if not, your blade is not correctly clamped in the guide, or was mis-shapen from a previous sharpening.

Come hang out with me at www.mrmccormickmakes.com

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, derekcohen said:

Your sharpening system ends where mine begins. I begin with a 1000 grit Shapton Pro (which is about the same as your X-Fine diamond), and rarely need more that 3-4 strokes per grit.

I progress through 6000 and 13000 Sigmas, and finish on green compound on hardwood. No leather (leather dubs an edge). That is about 30000 grit, compared to your 1200 grit.

Two other problems with your system: firstly, diamond plates create deep scratches which are a lot of work to remove. Secondly, the many, many passes you take will create a large wire edge, and this will effectively dull the edge further. The back of the blade needs to be polished to the  same level as the bevel edge.

These are fundamentals of sharpening. How you get there, and which stones/media you use, are up to you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You definitely should consider a stage after the last diamond plate, I won't get into the debate over leather strops :blink: but I would say a good final process that's cheap is to get a a bit of float glass, a flat piece of MDF and load them up with some metal polish (I use Autosol http://www.autosol.com/product_p/1000.htm) then (leaving my blade in the honing guide) I work it over the glass and autosol then finish on the MDF and autosol applying pressure only on the back stroke. you can use the glass and MDF to also finish the back.

Diamond paste would also work but I had issues with using green compound on MDF where it glazed on the surface of the MDF forming little lumps but that might just be the green compound I have which is very hard.