The French Cleat

TerryMcK

If you go with a whole plywood backer i don't see the point in doing a cleat system. If you have continuous wood to screw into why not skip the cleat. I see the advantage of the cleat system for going over drywall or  a non-sturdy backer that you can't attach directly to.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

If you go with a whole plywood backer i don't see the point in doing a cleat system. If you have continuous wood to screw into why not skip the cleat. I see the advantage of the cleat system for going over drywall or  a non-sturdy backer that you can't attach directly to.

One benefit would be the ability to quickly move things.  Now, if you know where things are going to stay long term then, I would prefer to build and mount them rather than have the cleat system.

1 minute ago, ..Kev said:

One benefit would be the ability to quickly move things.  Now, if you know where things are going to stay long term then, I would prefer to build and mount them rather than have the cleat system.

Quick is awfully relative driving 2 screws with a drill doesn't take much time compared to building the french cleat system. Maybe it's me but i don't often move things. Maybe 1-2 times a year.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Quick is awfully relative driving 2 screws with a drill doesn't take much time compared to building the french cleat system. Maybe it's me but i don't often move things. Maybe 1-2 times a year.

I'm like you in that I don't move things often either and not a huge fan of the French cleat but, some do and may not want the extra holes in the wall.  It's certainly not for everyone but, there are some out there that love it.  To each their own.

I have several sheets of commercial SlatWall in my shop. It has a similar function. One panel is for hanging various clamps and does get the arrangement shifted from time to time . The extra strips brace/level/support the lower edge of larger fixtures. If you hang just a few cleat rows add a block to the back of larger fixtures at the bottom.  If I built an entire wall I would paint it white. The brown pegboard I replaced with white laminateed SlatWall looks better and improves visibility / light bounce. It isn't cheap and has a lower weight capacity but mine was free leftovers from a commercial job. 

2 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I'm like you in that I don't move things often either and not a huge fan of the French cleat but, some do and may not want the extra holes in the wall.  It's certainly not for everyone but, there are some out there that love it.  To each their own.

Yeah holes in the wall i guess i don't think of that, some people's shops are very well finished. For aesthetics the cleat system is nice, i won't take away form that but i can't be convinced that it's faster. The time to cut the matching angles and attaching the pieces to me negates any time saved in moving items around on the wall.

The big benefit to me is being able to use 1/8" Luann over the studs to make a block wall look more finished and save some money. Despite probably sounding like i hate the system i don't i do like it quite a bit actually. I just can't say that speed is any sort of benefit. I will use it in the future to cover the block walls in my shop in a manner that won't leave me broke. Stupid plywood prices have been increasing out of control :( ....

I put one up a few years ago and it really comes in handy.  I can't get to it in some spots because of lumber or the 10' long lathe in the way but it's pretty stout.  There are two 3 1/2" long screws in every stud and the cleat is made with a 1x6.  The first shot is right after putting it up (had just finished restoring the table saw and no hint of a CNC yet).  Second shot is today.

1405310197_FerrariRedFrenchcleat-smallerfile.thumb.jpg.833a4bf110bc7f5779be807fe4f58cfd.jpg

1832121910_Frenchcleatshop-6-22-18.thumb.JPG.7d189ad00a513325e7e2694afaef9514.JPG

David

• Like 1