Lichtenberg Wood Art

There's a lot of bowl turners who use this to accent their pieces.  Stephen Oogle and ...... I'm drawing a blank on his name but he's one of the more prolific youtubers out there each have a couple videos on this.   It's beautiful when done correctly, which means theres not too much and not too little on the piece, and the artist is still alive when the piece is complete. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

and the artist is still alive when the piece is complete. 

This a thousand times. People have actually died trying to use microwave transformers for this purpose. I guess you do need it to be under 25mA and 5000 to 8000V, and have a deadman's foot pedal at the very least. That could probably make you stupid(er) but not dead unless you depend on a pacemaker.

It's also hard to find a piece to use it on. Both because the piece has to be worth it and because it can go from cool to cheesy in no time.

I want to give this technique a shot. Eventually.  

4 minutes ago, kyokahn said:

This a thousand times. People have actually died trying to use microwave transformers for this purpose. I guess you do need it to be under 25mA and 5000 to 8000V, and have a deadman's foot pedal at the very least. That could probably make you stupid(er) but not dead unless you depend on a pacemaker.

It's also hard to find a piece to use it on. Both because the piece has to be worth it and because it can go from cool to cheesy in no time.

I want to give this technique a shot. Eventually.  

Agreed. The thing is, there is the high voltage with the amps to back it up that makes this so dangerous. And most youtubes I've watch have these guys doing with the most horrendous safety practices. This isn't like the high voltage static electricity gadgets that can't really hurt you.

This can be done safely, but don't use the youtube as a guide to do so.

• Like 2