17?? house Job

Tom King

Dry stacked originally.  Any mortar you see between stones is portland cement mortar added in the 20th Century. It had all tumbled down at some point, and put back piecemeal.  You can see some lime mortar on the outside of those corner stones.  They had been used somewhere else before they were put in place to hold that corner up.  All the original stones are still in a tumbled down jumble inside the basement.

Those aren't "quality" jacks.  I've left too many of them inside concrete pours (on purpose) before to buy the high priced ones.  These were all less than 40 buck jacks.  

10 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Those aren't "quality" jacks.  I've left too many of them inside concrete pours (on purpose) before to buy the high priced ones.  These were all less than 40 buck jacks.  

Let me amend. By quality I meant I do not see oil stains everywhere. 

Yesterday, we pulled a string, and jacked that back wall into a straight line.  The corner needs to go up 3-3/4" to get the back wall level.  The whole thing might have to go up some more, but we'll figure that out as we go around the other sides.

The sill from the back doorway, and to the left is offering no support to the studs.  My original plan was to get the whole house up level, and then bolt the 4x6 legs to every stud.  Those studs with no longer enough sill to mortise into are too floppy to jump to the bolting on legs stage.  We're going to rebuild the sill before we go any farther so everything can be tied together well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you look close you can see all manner of steel scraps for just the purpose that Steve said.  One is even a hook out of my box blade that you can see in the last picture on the first page of this thread.  We finished building out that whole section of sill on Friday, but I forgot to take any more pictures.  I'll get some tomorrow.

On to the next section of that same sill.  There was a short part with no termite damage, so we skipped over that to the next part.  This section has 3 inches of solid wood left on the inside.  I put a bunch of strings on the outside plane of the sill, put a duct tape flag on long drill bits, and drilled several hundred holes to indicate the proper depth as we spent almost two and a half days chiseling off the bad 10 inches.

You may have seen the other thread I started about drawboring.  Getting rid of the termite damaged outer 10 inches uncovered that tenon and drawbored peg.

More pictures coming, but I took these with my cellphone, and it's taking forever to transfer them to the computer.  We have poor cellphone coverage in the house.

You can see the new treated wood to Mike's left that we did last week.  Once we get that whole sill repaired, so the studs that were just hanging in the air, with nothing holding them up will have support under them, we can start jacking the house back up to proper level.

stringplane (960x1280).jpg

• Like 1

Some more pictures.  First one is the first section after it's done.

Second picture is what we had to start with on the next 90" long section that needed some help.

Third is after removing 10" off of the outside of the sill to get down to solid wood.  After I cut that sill back to goo wood, it left the center of the tree in view.  I counted 126 growth rings from the tree center out to the lower corner in 6-1/2"-Southern Long Leaf Heart Pine.

Fourth is with the first treated 2x layer added.

Fifth is that section done after four days of work.  We had to jack every 2x board into place to give good support to the studs above that had not had anything under them for a LONG time.

Sixth is the rotten end of the sill.   There is barely enough wood left to hold the corner up, but not enough for heavy jacking.  I chainsaw carved out a section to put in a vertical piece of treated 4x6. The sill is solid once it gets past the corner post above it.   We were planning to start jacking the house this afternoon, but were rained out.  It'll go up Monday morning if we have good luck with weather.

CIMG2193 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2192 (1280x960).jpg

tenoncleaned (960x1280).jpg

CIMG2196 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2198.JPG

CIMG2200 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2201 (1280x960).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We started jacking the back of the house up earlier this week.  It went up with no complaining, but the center beam under the floor also needed to go up along with it.  We got all set up with more jacks, started jacking the whole thing up, but the wall above the beam didn't move along with the floor, so we stopped, and did some probing.

The main support post in the center of the house is also eaten up at the bottom by termites.

I was sidetracked for a couple of days on other stuff, and we tore into the wall where the post is yesterday afternoon.  Fortunately, the damage is just to the one post.  We'll get this sorted out next week.  I have pictures somewhere else of the door casing that also had termite damage there, so didn't take more pictures before we took that off.   These pictures are after that side of the jamb, and casing came off.  I'll have to make replacement parts for the casing, and jamb, because termites had also eaten most of those.  This post was on top of the beam we replaced years ago.

There are several theories about why they filled walls up with brick.   I'm pretty sure my theory is the correct one:  Bricks were fired on site.  When they clumped the brick to build the kiln, there were always a lot of bricks around the outside layers of the clump that never could get hot enough to become hard.  These are commonly called "interior" bricks.  I'm pretty sure they would have rather not ever have produced any of these "interior" bricks, but always ended up with some anyway.  They needed to do something with them, so they filled the walls up with them.  They probably helped a little bit with insulation, but mainly saved the trouble of having to haul them away.  We will save the whole ones, and refire them to a higher temperature, making bricks that we can use to fix the chimneys.

That section of wainscoting is in fine shape, and came off with no damage, to be replaced after we fix that post.

The floor is all in fine shape.  It just needs to be evened back up, which I hope to do with the jacking process.

Sheetrock was added to the two front rooms in the mid 20th Century.   They did us a favor by tearing out all the plaster, so it will save us a dirty job.  The plaster in the whole house is poorly done, and in too poor condition to save.   We'll redo it properly using materials like they used originally, but there's a LOT of work to do before we get to that point.

CIMG2205 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2204 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2207 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2208 (1280x960).jpg

• Like 2

I rebuilt that center support post.  I'm not sure if you will be able to tell much from the pictures.

These 1780 walls have studs that are 4-1/4" thick.   I keep treated lumber, and yellow pine boards drying for years for such uses.  The newest boards on the top of the pile said 2012.  They're stored on a high rack under a tin roof in one of my sheds, so it's good, and dry this time of year.

The beam under the wall that you see in the pictures had the left end eaten by termites where it intersected the center beam that we replaced that had been completely termite demolished.  It's sitting on top of a brick wall in the basement (the one you can see in previous pictures with whitewash on it), so it has good support under the good part of the beam that's left.  We saturated the old beam underneath with boiling water with Borax in it, before installing the new plate/beam.  The dark color is from the soaking.

I used one of my 2012 dry 6x6 timbers to cut a 4-1/4" wide piece to span from on top of the new beam, over onto the solid part of the partially bad beam.  It fits against the diagonal brace, and stops where the walls intersect at the door jamb.  In other words, the sole plate is 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 (or a little less from jointer straightening), and also serves as a support beam, on top of other support beams.

Third picture is with the two studs installed.   They had tenons on the bottom ends, but I just cut them to fit back in their original positions, and screwed them to the Plate/beam.  They didn't even have any nails from the wainscoting in them, and one rosehead hand forged nail in the center of the top.  Those nails were just like new.  I saved the nails, and used screws.

The corner post, that also backs the jamb, is pieced up from other years old dry lumber.   Rather than using all wide stuff, and running it down to 4-1/4", I used 2x4's staggered, with one edge straightened on a jointer.  There is one piece that is 4-1/4 backing up the jamb position.

This spot needed a little jacking, but nothing like the back wall.  With the beam underneath now level, we just jacked it until the jamb head was level.

CIMG2237 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2239 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2240 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2242 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2243 (1280x960).jpg

• Like 2

Before this one, I had always thought that they way overdid the diagonal bracing.  In this case, the diagonal braces were what kept the house from falling down.  On the back wall, and this interior wall, the diagonal braces were carrying All the load.

Interesting thread.  I lived in a very small town in central KY while a pastor.  Another church bought the adjoining property and allowed the volunteer fire department to practice on the house.  When I asked the pastor why they didn't tear it down and sell the material, he said they did that on another house.  The people who tore down the house never came back to clean up the mess.  Anyway, when they took the wood siding off, the sheathing was 1X12 poplar boards set at an angle!  It was a shame to see the house burned and then bulldozed!

Look forward to seeing the project develop.

Yes, they spent the Winter of  '77/'78 in that single room house, that the big house was added onto later in 1780.  I don't know exactly what they had for Christmas dinner in '77, but I expect they enjoyed it very much more than Washington's men at Valley Forge, that same Christmas, who had vinegar to go on their rice. 300 miles to the North.

edited to add:  The above history is a little bit off.   While taking down the sheetrock, put up over the wall boards sometime in the 20th Century, I discovered that the single room had been moved into place, after the big house was built.  More later on that.  Looks like they spent that Winter in the big house.

• 2 weeks later...

Language changes over time.  In the late 1500's, when English people first started coming here, there were less than a total of 400,000 people speaking English. 

Just speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same guy who built houses, also got called on to build caskets.  When someone needed a casket, and the nearest store didn't have one in stock, go find the undertaker.

In reading specifications for Glebe houses, written by Vestrymen, there are all sorts of strange spellings.  A small room was called a closet,  with all sorts of spellings like it sounds, such as klosset.   Linseed oil was spelled: lindseet oyle,  lynseed olle, and mostly a different way anytime someone wrote it down.