c1711 House Renovation


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt anyone noticed because I'm not that special, but I disappeared from the forum for the second half of last year and first few months of this year.  Part of it was that the firewall in my office

The house has 2.5 bathrooms.  A powder room downstairs, and then two full bathrooms upstairs.  For the powder room, I went with a pedestal sink, since space was at a premium and there isn't really a t

Sorry everyone I had to disappear for a few days to deal with some punch list stuff  Signed the P&S the other day so I spent the weekend tying up a bunch of little loose ends around the house.  It

13 hours ago, bgreenb said:

We also did a hot roof - 2" of closed cell foam on the underneath of the roof sheathing, then fill the rest of the rafter bays with open cell.

We are planning to do a hot roof when we renovate and currently it's just called out as all closed cell to R49. It's a lot of closed cell. We are on the edge of climate zone 5 here is Michigan. 

Was the 2" closed and rest open a suggestion from the foam installer? No concern of the vapor perm of open allowing vapor from the conditioned space through to the 2" closed cell on the roof sheathing and condensing? Or does the 2" insulate enough to not allow it to condense? 

Doing an closed/open split would be a big savings on a whole roof!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

My ideal house if I could snap my fingers would be an expanded gambrel with cedar shingle siding and cedar shingle roof.  4 bedrooms, 2700sf.   On 3/4 acre.  With a detached barn shop :)

 

I think that that same as what we call a Dutch Colonial around here.... the roof is similar to a barn, correct? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike. said:

I think that that same as what we call a Dutch Colonial around here.... the roof is similar to a barn, correct? 

Yes, for all intents and purposes they are the same, but a dutch colonial usually refers to a gambrel where the lower roofline is curved (concave), whereas a gambrel usually just indicates the two rooflines, both straight.  

Dutch colonial (this one is pretty exaggerated...usually the curvature is less pronounced):

vaa171-fr3-ph-co.jpg

Gambrel:

1558-03ChathamGambrel.jpg

 

2 minutes ago, Alan G said:

We are planning to do a hot roof when we renovate and currently it's just called out as all closed cell to R49. It's a lot of closed cell. We are on the edge of climate zone 5 here is Michigan. 

Was the 2" closed and rest open a suggestion from the foam installer? No concern of the vapor perm of open allowing vapor from the conditioned space through to the 2" closed cell on the roof sheathing and condensing? Or does the 2" insulate enough to not allow it to condense? 

Doing an closed/open split would be a big savings on a whole roof!

Yes, typicall a "hot roof" refers to the entire rafter bay filled with closed cell.  In my case I had stressed to the foam installer that I was looking for cost savings, and he said this was a method he's used in the past for more economical installations.  The idea is exactly what you said:  the 2" of closed cell insulates enough to avoid the sheathing/condensation rot problem.  We are climate zone 4 marine, might be slightly more temperate than Michigan so in your case it might be better to err further on the side of closed cell.  In fact, if this were going to be my house I probably would've paid up for closed cell all the way through because I'd be seeing the returns for years to come.  But I wanted to compromise a little.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bgreenb said:

Yes, for all intents and purposes they are the same, but a dutch colonial usually refers to a gambrel where the lower roofline is curved (concave), whereas a gambrel usually just indicates the two rooflines, both straight.  

Dutch colonial (this one is pretty exaggerated...usually the curvature is less pronounced):

Those are both cool looking houses.  And I hate houses that look like that. LOL  I'd trade my plastic box for either of those in a heartbeat though.

I've always been drawn to Craftsman style houses.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Those are both cool looking houses.  And I hate houses that look like that. LOL  I'd trade my plastic box for either of those in a heartbeat though.

I've always been drawn to Craftsman style houses.

Yeah I like craftsman too.  There are just so few around here they stick out like a sore thumb.  I know nothing about the history of craftsman/arts and crafts.  Did it originate in california?  Seems like there are a lot of them there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Did it originate in california?  Seems like there are a lot of them there.

No idea, but they do seem more prevalent there than anywhere else, especially northern CA...from the little I know.  There are quite a few very cool Craftsman bungalows scattered about older parts of St. Louis.  In much cooler neighborhoods than the one I live in. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

The grammar nazi in me wants to hug you for getting this right

What do people normally say? 

 

Building face frames first was not intuitive to me either, until I took a visit to my cousin's cabinet shop.  The entire process goes so fast when you have the face frame done.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike. said:

What do people normally say? 

 

Building face frames first was not intuitive to me either, until I took a visit to my cousin's cabinet shop.  The entire process goes so fast when you have the face frame done.  

 

All intensive purposes is the common "eggcorn"

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

my kitchen consiglieres

 

LOL

 

12.-Tom.jpg

 

Absolutely top notch, beautiful work and completed in an insanely short amount of time.  Would have taken me at least twice as long.  I've always believed in you, Cosmo, and now we all know why.  Fantastic work.

Those MDF panels make me wanna slit my wrists. :D

I want that fridge.

12 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

The grammar nazi in me wants to hug you for getting this right

I'm pretty sure B meant to say "for all intensive purposes."  That's the correct way to say it, supposably.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eric. said:

 

LOL

2 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

All intensive purposes is the common "eggcorn"

I'm pretty sure B meant to say "for all intensive purpose."  That's the correct way to say it, supposably.

Irregardless it is a good looking kitchen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I neglected to mention.  In the "install" pic, you can see the 3/4" gap created under the frame and panel back left side of the peninsula by having to shim up those cabinets.  I covered that by milling some extra wide quarter round shoe moulding and tapering it from 1.5" to 3/4" to cover up that gap.  You can see it wrap around the corner and terminate in front of the dishwasher in the second to last photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bgreenb said:

One thing I neglected to mention.  In the "install" pic, you can see the 3/4" gap created under the frame and panel back left side of the peninsula by having to shim up those cabinets.  I covered that by milling some extra wide quarter round shoe moulding and tapering it from 1.5" to 3/4" to cover up that gap.  You can see it wrap around the corner and terminate in front of the dishwasher in the second to last photo.

Speaking of gaps...what's with the huge one at the bottom of the entry door?  Was there a threshold going in there?

 

Just now, Lester Burnham said:

It's all right, I could care less.

For God sakes I need to pay closer attention.  You guys are to good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lester Burnham said:

Let's nip this in the butt and let this shop wizard get back to kicking all the ass on this house.

Alls you have to do is surrender.  All though, I can pretty much guarantee B is as entertained by this sidetrack as we are. :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Speaking of gaps...what's with the huge one at the bottom of the entry door?  Was there a threshold going in there?

Second to last pic?  That's the threshold.  It's black, so it looks like a gap in the photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.