Exterior door

bradpotts

The door would have been very cool. Adding the shop made stained glass is going to kick it into a totally different level of awesome. 

I really like that though out your builds, it seems like you are constantly pushing yourself and trying new and interesting things. Keep it up Brad.

It is kind of funny you say that. Before I started, I got a little bit nervous like the first time you use a power tool. Maybe it is the adrenaline I am always chasing.

Looks awesome.  I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to drop everything and finish that stained glass ASAP so I can see the finished product.  Ok?

You are in for some good news because I am going to be working on this non stop. Throughout the year I have also been remodeling a house. That took up a lot of my time. I just put it on the market on Monday, so it is all woodworking from now on. My next project is a table build. It is going to be pretty sweet too.

• Like 2

I will try to give you a step by step here. I use the lead shears to cut out the pattern. 6381258aef1ca135e18145395d62ccc4.jpg I cut a strip of glass. 6adb5ddc076474cde7b6db360c893fe6.jpg then I use running pliers to break it. 3d13f3ec2cf69d16a76ff249ce85bb0e.jpg then I trace the pattern on the glass. Cut the glass. I use grozer pliers to break those cuts. For the smaller cuts I use a square. d9715b50bca688bf13f9a3e644737754.jpg if anything needs cleaned up. I use this grinder. 1508994876fa74da23fbd35821bfee73.jpg it is basically a sander for glass. Because the glass doesn't break perfectly it comes in really handy. I wouldn't do this without one. Then I mark where the lead is going to go. 3314f2ce1da18804a7e73f2ff84263c7.jpg cut the lead with lead snips. Make sure not to cut down on the lead because you bend everything up. Then wrap the lead around and cut it to fit. Progress. 7c9e363163de3f5d514e6103912a9ede.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bradpotts said:

I use this grinder. it is basically a sander for glass.

How well does the grinder do with regards to chipping. I've ground glass edges with a spindle sander, but found that the heat would cause some pretty significant chipping on the edges. Is it a diamond abrasive?

Looks great Brad! The only tip I would add for those thinking of giving this a try would be using two patterns one for cutting the glass and the other taped to your board. It helps keep things straight and makes sure you get all the pieces in the right spot. If you get off it will show up right away.

21 minutes ago, drzaius said:

How well does the grinder do with regards to chipping. I've ground glass edges with a spindle sander, but found that the heat would cause some pretty significant chipping on the edges. Is it a diamond abrasive?

The ones I have used work very well. Yes they are diamond abrasive and are wet grinders as well.

Looks great Brad! The only tip I would add for those thinking of giving this a try would be using two patterns one for cutting the glass and the other taped to your board. It helps keep things straight and makes sure you get all the pieces in the right spot. If you get off it will show up right away.

I thought about that but I didn't know how to account for the width of the lead. So I just made a boarder to make sure I stay inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradpotts said:

I thought about that but I didn't know how to account for the width of the lead. So I just made a boarder to make sure I stay inside.

I pretty much center it on the line. I have the colors marked in bold so I do not get the wrong color in the wrong spot...not that it has ever happened to me LOL  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bradpotts said:

I did make a mistake. I changed the direction of the texture of the glass on the first round piece.

It looks great, mistake or no...

Can it be partially un-soldered and re done without a complete do-over?

It looks great, mistake or no...

Can it be partially un-soldered and re done without a complete do-over?

I don't know how hard it would be but as far as I am, I don't feel comfortable taking it back apart.

Repeat the reversal on the other panels and call it a feature !

Looking Good !

Good point Steve. This way I will always know mine from the knockoffs!

• Like 1