Dewalt planer clogging

tom850i

I've had my DW735 planer for 12 years and never had a problem with sawdust clogging up the upper chamber until about a year ago.  Now I have to take the top off and vacuum the sawdust out after almost every use.  It's hooked up to a dust collector and I've checked the dust collector air flow. I also ran it without the dust collector and the airflow out the exhaust pipe is very strong.  I can't see how all that sawdust is getting into the upper chamber and clogging up the height adjustment chain.  Nothing appears broken or loose.  

Any ideas?

40 minutes ago, tom850i said:

I've had my DW735 planer for 12 years and never had a problem with sawdust clogging up the upper chamber until about a year ago.  Now I have to take the top off and vacuum the sawdust out after almost every use.  It's hooked up to a dust collector and I've checked the dust collector air flow. I also ran it without the dust collector and the airflow out the exhaust pipe is very strong.  I can't see how all that sawdust is getting into the upper chamber and clogging up the height adjustment chain.  Nothing appears broken or loose.  

Any ideas?

I just went through that same problem.  Over time the fan pushes chips and dust so hard it wears thin the plastic on the cover that directs the chips outward, and you get holes.  I had to replace the shroud completely, the one behind the fan, it's a PITA to get to, you almost have to disassemble the entire top end to get it out.  If you do the strip down right, you need to replace the cover you remove to deal with the blades as well.  I got all the parts necessary from  ereplacement parts.com   Make sure you check the fan blades, over time they tend to weaken and break, It's a good Idea to replace it as well.

• Like 2

I have seen posts from social media woodworking celebrities (I believe it was Jay Bates) where the foam gasket was worn around the shroud which directs chips/dust to the port. Due to the worn gasket it was able to push dust/chips out and around the shroud causing the compartment to fill up. So maybe replace the gasket with some thin weather stripping or similar material?

I have also personally thought about disabling the blower (somehow), block the 2.5" port and install a 6" port at the top of the machine. Increased CFMs to the tool and no worries about the shroud any more. Also I wouldn't have to deal with the hose on the outfeed side. But just a thought right now.

Guest Randy

I would echo what RichardA recommended. I would especially check the ejector fan blades. It sounds to me like it's possible one or more of the fan blades are broken. They are plastic and, while they appear to be able to take a lot of abuse, they can break. I broke one of mine just because I hit a knot that was looser than I thought, throwing a bigger chunk into the blades than they can handle. There is nothing to do at that point except replace. Given the age of the planer, I would replace whatever parts are associated with this also. It is kind of a pain, but not really all that difficult as even I was able to do it.

@Derek_PNWAs for disabling the ejector fan, don't know if that would work, but would be reluctant to disturb a "system" that works. I have my 735 connected to an Oneida V1500 cyclone with a 4" hose. Nothing significant escapes. I couldn't ask for any better dust collection. It's hard to believe the existing combination of the ejector fan and connection to a dust collector could be improved upon.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:03 PM, Derek_PNW said:

I have seen posts from social media woodworking celebrities (I believe it was Jay Bates) where the foam gasket was worn around the shroud which directs chips/dust to the port. Due to the worn gasket it was able to push dust/chips out and around the shroud causing the compartment to fill up. So maybe replace the gasket with some thin weather stripping or similar material?

I have also personally thought about disabling the blower (somehow), block the 2.5" port and install a 6" port at the top of the machine. Increased CFMs to the tool and no worries about the shroud any more. Also I wouldn't have to deal with the hose on the outfeed side. But just a thought right now.

I examined the shroud, gasket and fan blades. There are no holes or worn areas except the shroud gasket.  It's very old and probably isn't sealing well.  So I'll replace that first and see if the problem goes away.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2017 at 0:07 PM, tom850i said:

I examined the shroud, gasket and fan blades. There are no holes or worn areas except the shroud gasket.  It's very old and probably isn't sealing well.  So I'll replace that first and see if the problem goes away.

I replaced the shroud gasket and the problem did not go away.  So I'll replace the shroud.  I tested the ejector fan with my dust collector removed and it pushes a huge amount of air out of the planer so I can't believe the ejector fan has any problems.

BTW, here is a picture after planing hard maple for about 30 minutes.IMG_7403.thumb.JPG.7ca0389db8a8dca0fee46daf712fe324.JPG

Wow.  That's a mess.

A few thoughts...

Obviously the dust is leaking from somewhere.  Keep looking.

Have you run it with just the dust collector and the ejector fan disconnected? I'm guessing part of the issue is that the ejector fan is capable of pushing out out faster than the DC can take it.  If just the DC is enough, that would let you use it while you troubleshoot the issue.

To expand on my second point....I'd like to think a DC could take whatever the ejector fan could serve up.  Have you cleaned the filter or bag on your DC?  It could have reduced airflow, and maybe cleaning it to get better airflow would make it "better".

50 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

To expand on my second point....I'd like to think a DC could take whatever the ejector fan could serve up.  Have you cleaned the filter or bag on your DC?  It could have reduced airflow, and maybe cleaning it to get better airflow would make it "better".

My 735 blows the lid off my DC when they run together, if I can get them to not trip the breaker.   I have to C clamp the lid down to keep it together.  

Try running your planer with out any hose attached and blow the chips somewhere you can clean up, or outside.   See if you get the same accumulation.  If you do, then it's not the DC.  If the planer stays Clean, your DC can't handle the planer's output. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

My 735 blows the lid off my DC when they run together, if I can get them to not trip the breaker.   I have to C clamp the lid down to keep it together.  

Try running your planer with out any hose attached and blow the chips somewhere you can clean up, or outside.   See if you get the same accumulation.  If you do, then it's not the DC.  If the planer stays Clean, your DC can't handle the planer's output. 

Really. I've never had that with mine.......that I've noticed.  I will say it definitely inflated the bag completely even when the DC was not turned on.(I've since moved to a canniser style filter so I don't know one way or another).

I wonder if I opened another blast gate in the system, if ithere would still be a flow into the pipe or if the planer would overwhelm it and blow stuff out the second gate.  I'll check it out next time I can....

59 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

I wonder if I opened another blast gate in the system, if ithere would still be a flow into the pipe or if the planer would overwhelm it and blow stuff out the second gate.  I'll check it out next time I can....

Please get video when you try this.   I would place money on a confetti shower. 

• Like 1

I ordered a replacement shroud.  It's possible the 12 year old shroud is warped.

I'll also do a little DC testing and clean the filter.  I would be surprised if the planer is blowing out chips so fast that the Oneida DC can't handle it.  BTW, the pipe from the planer to DC is 4".

BTW, the DC filter is 12 years old and I blow it out periodically.  Do they ever need to be replaced?

On 5/24/2017 at 9:02 PM, Chet K said:

Rick how many years did you have yours before you had this problem?

I think mine is a 2004 model   Hell with as much wood as I've put through it, I couldn't complain.  I just bought all the plastic top end parts, and replaced them.

39 minutes ago, tom850i said:

I ordered a replacement shroud.  It's possible the 12 year old shroud is warped.

I'll also do a little DC testing and clean the filter.  I would be surprised if the planer is blowing out chips so fast that the Oneida DC can't handle it.  BTW, the pipe from the planer to DC is 4".

BTW, the DC filter is 12 years old and I blow it out periodically.  Do they ever need to be replaced?

I think, [since mine did the same thing] that your going to find that in the rear of the part that contains the fan housing, rather large holes from the chips being forced against it as the chips are sent out.  I couldn't see mine, and it filled exactly the same. I just replaced every plastic part in that upper chamber. Found it riddled with holes in the rear that you cannot see from above.

19 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

Please get video when you try this.   I would place money on a confetti shower. 

I take PayPal, checks, and cash....

:)

So I tried it this morning.  I have an overhead DC blast gate that I use to connect my blade guard dust collection on my table saw.  I removed the blast gate and taped some lengths of fabric to the pipe.  Turned the 735 on, and sure enough there was a lot of air coming out.  Left the 735 running and turned on the DC - and when it ramped up to speed, all the strips of fabric were sucked into the pipe.  Cycled through the process a few times and it was always the same, the DC was able to suck in from the open pipe even with the 735 running.

My DC is a Delta 50-760 (1.5HP), which got pretty good reviews.  It's been upgraded with a Wynn cannister filter, piped in with 4" smooth walled drainage pipe to all tools.  I've been pretty pleased with its effectiveness, and it looks like it more than keeps up with the Dewalt planer.

• Like 1

I cleaned and washed the filter for my HVLP turbine the other day according to the mfg instructions. I've been blowing it out regularly for years. Left it to dry for several days. It made a major improvement to my spray atomization ! I would check around and see what procedure to use to avoid damaging an expensive filter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/24/2017 at 3:08 PM, tom850i said:

Any ideas?

I just had the same problem after 3 years and ordered the shroud gaskets.  Still waiting for them to come in but  I am considering buying the fan cover as you stated but cant find it in the diagram.  I noticed that part 207 is grayed out and was thinking that was it.  could you tell me what part number that was.  thks in advance

On 4/26/2022 at 10:36 PM, Coop said:

yeah thats where I went.  so is the fan housing assembly the same as the fan cover that Mr. Tom was talking about?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...