New Woodpeckers tool, yea or nay?

The panel gauge gave me an itchy mouse trigger finger...but then I realized I've needed a panel gauge exactly zero times in my life.  It's just a cool chunk of metal though.

When would you use it, being a hybrid woodworker?  All my panels are cut with machines.

The panel gauge gave me an itchy mouse trigger finger...but then I realized I've needed a panel gauge exactly zero times in my life.  It's just a cool chunk of metal though.

When would you use it, being a hybrid woodworker?  All my panels are cut with machines.

Totally agree. No need for a panel gauge. I was referring to the marking gauge. It looks like a good upgrade over the Veritas wheel gauge I have.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of wheel gauges that I like.  I'm actually eyeing a smaller gauge as opposed to a larger one.  The typical wheel gauge as shown in the video is already at the large end of the scale for this task, for me.  The retainer being proud of the cutting wheel also makes this a "pass" for me.  Using this "depth stop" feature is how I often set my gauge directly off of the material I am working with.  As in many things, the way you use a tool will vary the value of certain features to you. Like most Woodpecker products, it looks to be top notch in materials and workmanship.

I have thought for a while that a marking gauge that left a pencil line instead of a cut mark would be great for laying out Domino locations.  I typically use a combo square or two and a pencil but that is kinda slow, and sometimes unwieldy,  if the pieces are small or there are a lot of them.

I'm sure it's a nice piece.  But for my money Tite-Mark is king.

http://www.glen-drake.com/Tite-Mark.html

TM-3-01.jpg

That gauge looks pretty similar to the veritas. I dont find my wheel gauge to be all that. I took a class at Fww live with Bob Van Dyke and he showed the marking gauge that he designed and made and I found that one to be far superior to a wheel gauge. This woodpeckers one seemed a little more like Bobs gauge in that it had more reference surface and a bigger shaft that you could get a better grip on.

1a7a0861ef7d40dbc64f131c35f98b34.jpg

Looks really nice as a marking gauge. I think I'd find the 0.9 mm pencil to be a bit thick, though. I guess that's so it's harder to break? I like my veritas wheel gauge well enough, although it would be nicer to have a larger reference surface (and some way to stop it from rolling off the bench - just had to replace a shattered cutter from hitting the concrete).

I like both of them.

The panel gauge is certainly better than using an adjustable square and a pencil. How many times have you ended up with a wonky line when trying to balance a pencil on the end of the adjustable square whilst trying to hold the workpiece with a third hand (that you don't have) and end up anchoring the workpiece with your elbow (as you couldn't be bothered reaching for a holddown)? I know I have done that! You could make one but the Woodpeckers looks way cooler. I would buy that.

The dual scribe marking gauge looks good too. I already have a Veritas single wheel gauge and a William Marples mortising gauge so won't buy the Woodpeckers one.

50 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

That gauge looks pretty similar to the veritas. I dont find my wheel gauge to be all that. I took a class at Fww live with Bob Van Dyke and he showed the marking gauge that he designed and made and I found that one to be far superior to a wheel gauge. This woodpeckers one seemed a little more like Bobs gauge in that it had more reference surface and a bigger shaft that you could get a better grip on.

1a7a0861ef7d40dbc64f131c35f98b34.jpg

The cover article of the most recent FWW issue was this cutting gauge and how to make one.

If you're an online member:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/03/29/shopmade-cutting-gauge

I was interested for a bit--currently in need of a better marking gauge--but $100 is a bit much when i can have the LV micro adjust for $40. 

Im also struggling to find a practical application for the panel marking gauge. Every instance i think of results in, "duh, just set the fence on your table saw, router table, edge guide, etc". Maybe if you were using a festool track with router adapter this would help you line up the guide and router bit? For the money, would be better suited to pick up parallel guides for the track