"Mies en Plas" means efficiency

iSawitFirst

There's a term in cooking, "Mies en Plas", that is critical in cooking successfully and efficiently and can apply to woodworking as well. The term is french and means, "Everything in it's place." This term has abundant value if used as a planning tool ahead of time. The idea is to get everything you'll need ready to use ahead of time so, 1) you'll know where everything is and won't have to search for it at an inopportune time ("Where's the damned hot mat (clamp)?"), 2) you'll know that you have everything you'll need to complete the project and won't have to make a mad dash to the big box store because you ran out of flour (glue) at a critical time, 3) to do Mies en Plas properly you have to think through the entire build or, at least what you'll accomplish in a work session.

Of course, there are also little spontaneous Mies en Plas that should happen as work progresses, such as making sure the push stick is at hand before starting the table saw cut and having your hearing protection on before starting the planer. My personal worst is actually starting sanding with no sandpaper on my ROS.

DUH! :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has committed woodworking faux pas due to bad Mies en Plas so let's hear them.

Absolutely agree which is why I chop 1/4 cup of Chives as soon as I walk into the shop.

Usually things I misplace often get moved to where I need them permanently; usually works.

Many tape measures scattered around and pencils mounted magnetically to each machine (tape measures magnetically mounted, too). Yes, I know, they can read differently.

Mis en place faux pas comis:

- clamps already open; by habit, I close them even after the dry run then life sucks when glue is on.

- corollary of the above, spacers for the BowClamps already out.

- making sure all small children are further than ear-shot of my open garage during a glue-up :)

Of course, there are also little spontaneous Mies en Plas that should happen as work progresses, such as making sure the push stick is at hand before starting the table saw cut and having your hearing protection on before starting the planer. My personal worst is actually starting sanding with no sandpaper on my ROS.

I'd look at that as sanding with 20,000 grit. ;)