Shop music?

What do you guys listen to in the shop? Music? Podcasts? Audiobooks? Nothing? I'm just curious.

As for me, I almost always listen to the funk station on Pandora. That or some really weird electronic music. I find that having something with a good beat helps me get in the zone and do stuff.

Almost always podcasts or audio books. Today I was listening to "Crafted" podcast. I'm liking it pretty well. I've listened to almost every woodworking related podcast and rejected all but woodtalk and Fine Woodworking. I'm also listening to an audio book on algorithms that rocks. 

As for me, I almost always listen to the funk station on Pandora. That or some really weird electronic music. I find that having something with a good beat helps me get in the zone and do stuff.

The only problem with listening to music with a good beat is when you're listening on the work tunes, and you don't hear the door open, so your wife watches you dancing while you vacuum the floor...

• Like 1

I used to move around between music on the radio, my Ipod, or my phone but over a year ago I found an old cassette player that actually worked. I rummaged around in the fall-out shelter and dug out a couple of file boxes of cassettes from as far back as when I was in high school.

So for now it's mostly been new wave/punk rock (XTC, Buzzcocks, Joe Jackson, Suicidal Tendencies, the Alarm, etc.) or various classic rock type artists (Zappa, Clapton, Traffic, Wings, etc.).

I'm playing that cassette player until it dies. By then I should be completely sick of my 30+ year old music collection and I can go back to the radio or Ipod...

Pandora, Spotify or music off my NAS. All via a Logitech Squeezebox in the shop connected to an amplifier and speakers. If I want it in my head I use hearing protection that has built in speakers, hook a bluetooth output device to and stream music from my phone.

10 hours ago, Chet K said:

I am all over the place with my listening but usually my go to stuff in the shop is the blues or southern rock.

RIP Gregg Allman.

I listen to Spotify mainly, controlled through Alexa. Southern rock, Texas roadhouse, public radio, podcasts and Springsteen.

• Like 1

I mainly have music on in the shop. Sometimes sports, depending what's on. NASCAR, Mariners, or Football.

For my music, I'm kinda all over the place ranging from old country, classic rock, old school hip hop. I do most of my streaming through amazon music. I have a desktop in the shop with optical out to a way over kill stereo. It's an old stereo that I have been carrying around for the 15 years. 

RIP Greg Allman

I listen to classical, opera, alt rock, 70's album rock & some blues & jazz. Not usually podcasts or audio books cause that takes too much of the small amount of brain power I have.

I use my old phone (S5) permanently connected to my early 70's vintage stereo system. I bought it with the first loan I ever got. Speakers , amp & turntable for the sum of $1,229.00. I think I remember that number because this was such a big deal for me at the time. I'll never get rid of it, too much sentimental value. Still sound great too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Llama said:

For the most part, I listen to what most people would describe as death metal... Fast good music, and it keeps the neighbors away :) 

They suddenly stop caring about the noise of your planer. That's a good thing in my book.

My setup is my phone and some old outdoor Bluetooth speakers. From symphonic death metal to japanese rock, sometimes depending on the task at hand. Instrumental for detail work so I can avoid singing along, heavier music for repetitive tasks and most of the sing-along music for finishing. 

Of course not much of a shop habit since I haven't spent much time in there yet, but it matches my previous music selection for studying, working, cleaning and handyman work at home.

• Like 1