Shop music?

I salvaged an old laptop, loaded Lubuntu on it and set it up to boot straight into Pandora.  From there I have a bunch of stations tuned by genre.  Often I just let it shuffle through everything from Bach to Zombie.  Like Southwood and Llama, I switch to metal when I'm in "get 'er done" mode.  Strange for a guy in his 50's?  Try 60's.  I have a station called "Industrial" for when I need to 'push on through' with things from the heavier side like PM5K, NiN, Wednesday13, Zombie, Manson, and the like.  I also have a meditation station with all the flute and Koto music you could stand :D

• Like 1

I have a station called "Industrial" for when I need to 'push on through' with things from the heavier side like PM5K, NiN, Wednesday13, Zombie, Manson, and the like. 

Rarely has industrial been so literal.

• Like 1

I have a playlist of my dad's favorite songs.  He liked pop/rock from the 1950s-1980s.

Most of it is a little too country for my taste but I like thinking about him when I work.  

Bobby Darin, Doobie Brothers, Willie Nelson, CCR, Patsy Cline, Elvis, Rick Nelson, Everly Brothers, John Mellencamp, Crystal Gayle, Michael Martin Murphey.  

Mostly podcasts (WoodTalk and Making It) interspersed with music when I'm in a certain mood. I've given up trying to understand genres, its just music I like. Currently I'm wishing Barnes Courtney would release a full album. Anothwr current favorite is a small playlist of John Entwhistles isolated basslines.

I have an old clock radio that the CD player quit working.  The only music I listen to in the shop is classical.  Our cable service has several music channels and I listen to Oldies Rock and Classical while working on my archery equipment in my man cave.  I quit listening to R&R about 50 years ago. 

Another metaller here - listen to some 80's, 90's and later stuff - currently very much into Twelve Foot Ninja which describe themselves as Fusion Metal - they're a bit mad:

Also on my current list is some SikTh - although their new song is like a metal version of 'Randy Newman sings what he sees' from Family Guy...:blink::lol:

I have three of these throughout my house- one in the garage, one in the kitchen and one in my game room.

592d807e4b7f6_JBLflip.jpg.3028b383be2562cd408e8dedd2716d07.jpg

Such awesome sound.  As to what I pipe through it, it depends on my mood.  I have the Tony Radio playlist which includes a bit of everything rock/metal/punk- Pantera, Alice in Chains, Slipknot, Reel Big Fish, The Ramones, Jane's Addiction, The Grateful Dead...

Then I have my mood mixes. There's my Rhythm and Soul mix- Sam and Dave, Aretha,  James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gay, Otis Redding.  Then I have my punk/ska mix- Ramones, The Clash, Bad Brains, Fishbone, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Aquabats, Black Flag.  Then there's my alt.90s.rock.pop list- Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Everclear, Allanis Morrisette.  Or my mellow mix filled with Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains Unplugged (one of my absolute favorite albums of all time), Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam...

I have about 10 different mixes and over 3000 songs on my phone.  Radio is for suckers!  :P

I have sonos throughout my house and in my shop.  It is great, it all works on wifi so the range is excellent.  I can stream spotify to multiple rooms (and play different songs in different rooms at the same time), access my itunes library remotely, or stream from any device in my house, including the turntable in my basement.

My garage was getting a crappy wifi signal, so I pulled cat 5 cable to my garage and connect an airport express to my router.  Best thing I ever did.  I get great wifi  in my garage and most of my yard as well.  

Always interesting to see what people listen to. Lately, 80s pop has been a guilty pleasure, so Genesis, Rick Astley, Depeche Mode and Wham! (among others) are in rotation on Spotify.

Generally though, I'm a rock fan, with an emphasis on prog rock similar to @Llama. I like most all of it, with the exception of modern "bro" rock, aka Nickelback, Hinder, Buck Cherry, etc. Southern mullet rock: yes, bro rock: no.

As for metal? Gotta be 80s "big hair" or power-metal for me.

So that basically means bands along the lines of Rush, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Guns N Roses, Black Sabbath, Yes, Boston, Kansas, Soundgarden (RIP, Chris), Alice in Chains, Primus, Coheed & Cambria, Dragonforce, and Lost Horizon.

• Like 2