Heat (de)activated superglue

Eric.

I've seen in a couple luthiery videos some kind of glue the people were using for scribing inlay material - it was heat "deactivated," meaning that after they stuck the inlay material on and made their scribe, they put it under a heat lamp for a minute or so and the glue lets loose.  Does anyone know what this stuff is called and where I can get it?  It's not hide glue.  I'm pretty sure it's some kind of superglue but I'm not 100% sure.

Don't think that's what I'm looking for, Tom.  It appears that stuff creates a permanent bond, it just happens to be heat activated.  I need something that is heat DEactivated.  I should also mention that it needs to be able to adhere to pearl.

Getting warmer...but the 30 minute set time makes it not quite ideal for inlay.  Also it's formulated for threads so I'm not sure its bonding capabilities for pearl & wood.

There's plenty of returns on gargle for "heat activated glue"...nothing for "heat DEactivated."  Mike found me some spray stuff that might work...or I could just default to carpet tape like I've used in the past.  My main concern is when I go to pry off the pearl pieces...they could crack.  Way too expensive for that risk.  And time consuming to make a whole new piece.

1 minute ago, MattF said:

What kind of heat source are you working with? Most adhesives will break down under heat, it just depends on the adhesive and amount of heat before it releases.  

I saw in a video a luthier just used a regular desk lamp and put the bulb near the piece of inlay for about a minute...and then just lightly twisted it and it popped off.

I'm sure B is right that I'm overthinking it, and I already have several "acceptable" options available to me in my shop...but it just pisses me off that there's a specific formula available for this specific task...but I can't find it. :)

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I saw in a video a luthier just used a regular desk lamp and put the bulb near the piece of inlay for about a minute...and then just lightly twisted it and it popped off.

I'm sure B is right that I'm overthinking it, and I already have several "acceptable" options available to me in my shop...but it just pisses me off that there's a specific formula available for this specific task...but I can't find it. :)

If you really want a liquid adhesive for your project, try to find something with a low Tg (Glass Transition Temperature). I have had to do alot of this at work, but we look for things that are stable at +85C. 

42 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Dangit, now you have my interest peaked. "What sort of project would Eric do perl inlay on?", I keep asking myself ...

The MOP is for the flower petals...

DSC_0122_5.jpg

I just did a trial run with regular ol' carpet tape, and it was...okay.  I got a couple other tape recommendations from Master Trip that I'm gonna try.

10 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Eric, would this work for your project.

That goofball is lucky he has such a nice tool collection behind him, because otherwise I don't think I would have made it through ten seconds of that video after seeing his head and hearing him speak. LOL

Yeah that would probably work...although it seems a little time consuming when there should be some other adhesive pre-made and available for this purpose.

I've got enough options to try at this point that I'm sure one of them will work.  Thanks for all the ideas.

And of course Trip made the obvious point, "Why don't you ask this question on a luthier forum?"  Which is probably what I should have done in the first place.  But I'm not a member of one and joining would take like 30 seconds.  So it's pretty much out of the question.

• Like 1

3M DP810 breaks down at a little over 200 F.  I use it on golf club heads, not only because it breaks down way lower than the epoxy that laminates the shafts, but it's much easier to clean off than regular golf club epoxy.   I can't see a luthier using PVA or superglue.  My Daughter is a violinist, and I've been in a few violin repair shops since she was a toddler.  I've never seen anything but a hide glue pot in use.

Why not use hot melt glue?  If you have been using double stick tape, I am guessing you just want to lock it down while you trace out your inlay, then remove the inlay hole you excavate the space for the inlay.

Another idea, while It's over thirty years since I built my banjo so take this with a grain of salt, but as I recall, I first painted the fret board with yellow tempura paint, then used a little Elmer's to glue the pearl inlay, carefully traced out the outline, then removed the inlay. The pearl came off easily from the painted surface-so easily I had to be careful while tracing not to dislodge the inlay. That technique left a clear outline that made routing the space much easier. The paint sanded off easily and left no trace. Of course, it was ebony so pretty tight grain.