Stupid question - how do you clear your shop vac hose?

Hey guys,

As the title says, I have a bit of a dumb question. I've got a 15-20 foot hose on the shop vac that's a 2" or so diameter. I managed to clog somewhere in the middle with plane (and planer) shavings, and I can't get it to clear. Any clever tricks out there? I can't reach it from either end using a broom handle, and the hose isn't really the type you can collapse down. The only other thought I've had is to hunt down my electrical fish tape and see if I can use that to knock it loose.

For me, this is my only dust collection at the moment so things are getting messy without it. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Jfitz said:

I've had some success flipping the hose around and sucking out from the "reverse direction".  And while the vac is running, flex the hose to see if that jars pieces loose.

That's not a bad idea. I've certainly flexed the hose, but I didn't try flipping it.

Well, the winning suggestion goes to @Jfitz: sucking in reverse through the hose and banging it on the floor cleared the clog. The vacuum does ok with a plane shaving here or there, but that'll teach me to put it into a foot deep pile of them.

On another note, I think this helped me decide about cyclone vs standard dust collector. I anticipate having a lot of plane shavings around my shop, and the idea of having to unclog that constantly is rather unappealing.

1 minute ago, bleedinblue said:

Yup, even a powerful shop vac is not suitable for jointers and planers.

Oh, trust me, I'm well aware. The shop vac can barely keep up with a 1/32" pass at the planer, and only then if I'm using about half the width. I've got a dust deputy on it or it would clog the actual vacuum pretty much instantly. Mostly it earns its keep with the router table and sanders, aside from general cleanup.

I've held off on a real dust collector until now because of space, but after building the Roubo I'm so sick of mess everywhere that I think I'm going to break down and buy a small one (hence the other thread where I asked about 1.5 HP cyclones). Right now I'm leaning heavily toward getting the Oneida mini gorilla - I can fit it (just), it has HEPA filtration, and I trust Oneida's separation to be good. A 10 foot hose reaches everywhere I'd use it anyway, so there's really no point in plumbing it in.The only downside is price ($1700 Canadian), and it's not a huge air mover - for what it costs I could go up another $700 and get a 3 HP unit from Oneida with 2x the cfm, but there's just no way it'd fit.

Interesting thread here.  I have a 10 gallon Shop Vac and it is mentioned that is is too small for a planer.  Not good news to me.  Would like a DC system but I'm crowded as it is.  How crowded is the shop?  So crowded, I have to go outside to change my mind. :P  I do have a nice broom, dustpan, and a large trash can.  I thought I could put a piece of PVC or something to direct the chips and sawdust in one area on the floor rather than blowing it all over the place.

My father said the only stupid question is the one not asked.  Asking questions is how we learn.

Interesting thread here.  I have a 10 gallon Shop Vac and it is mentioned that is is too small for a planer.  Not good news to me.  Would like a DC system but I'm crowded as it is.  How crowded is the shop?  So crowded, I have to go outside to change my mind.   I do have a nice broom, dustpan, and a large trash can.  I thought I could put a piece of PVC or something to direct the chips and sawdust in one area on the floor rather than blowing it all over the place.

My father said the only stupid question is the one not asked.  Asking questions is how we learn.

If you get clever the DC doesn't have to eat up much space. Behold Frankenstein:

bd90f7a24f268a6251ab1b4d286ba1fe.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but still don't have enough room.  Eric, I don't have wall space even for the setup you show.  I had to build a table on casters for my router and planer so I could shift things around.  Plus, the way the house was originally built, there is a shortage of outlets.  All my outlets are on one wall from two separate lines.

This year, I turn 70 and can keep all my lottery $$$$ without paying Uncle Sam half  of it. :D