Delta 34-444 10" contractor saw

Ibboykin

I have my Dad's old table saw and I am about to get started cleaning it up and getting it in better operating condition. Mainly needs some cleaning, lubrication, and good ole TLC. 

My question today is this:  is it possible to change out the old stamped top with a newer cast iron top?  

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Was that model available with different top configurations when new? I doubt another make & model of table would fit.

Honestly, I have no clue.  It's just it was my Dad's and there is no price I would sell it for but I am going to fix it up and possibly upgrade if possible. 

• Like 1

I sold some spare cast-iron wings. About 10 years ago I got 25 bucks apiece for them and it cost almost that much to ship them to the East Coast to the guy buying them. This was still about half the price of buying them new. You could go to the classified section and put in a 'want to buy' thread for 27 inch cast-iron wings. Re-drilling the holes is no problem, cast-iron drills very easily.

• Like 1

Good luck pimpin out your pops old saw.  As Ross said, it's probably not a great financial move but I totally understand you not willing to part with it. 

If you're going to buy a used wing, be scrupulous. Cast iron leaning against a wall will warp over time. Make sure you get one that is flat as return shipping will be rediculously. 

Since you are going to be taking it over for the Long haul, it's not a bad idea to do a full tear down. Replace bearings, any chewed up electrical, a coat of paint.

Other popular upgrades to that saw are a link drive belt, better fence (Vega fences are a direct bolt on) and a quality thin kerf blade. Have fun.

When I had a 34-444 I replaced the stamped steel wings with melamine wrapped with walnut. At the same time I replaced the jetlock fence with a 30 inch beismeyer fence.  That Setup worked well for me for 15+ years until I upgraded to a cabinet saw.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johneone said:

When I had a 34-444 I replaced the stamped steel wings with melamine wrapped with walnut. At the same time I replaced the jetlock fence with a 30 inch beismeyer fence.  That Setup worked well for me for 15+ years until I upgraded to a cabinet saw.

Did you have to do any mods for the Biesemeyer or was it a direct bolt up? You 

On 6/6/2017 at 8:22 AM, Ibboykin said:

Did you have to do any mods for the Biesemeyer or was it a direct bolt up? You 

At the time I did this delta sold a version of the beismeyer fence for contractor saws, so it was a direct replacement. I don't think it's available any more. However I don't think it would be difficult to fit one to a 34-444.  Good luck, they are a good saw.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a 34-444 for my son about 8 years ago and frequently use it when helping him. We replaced the bearings and belt and then completely re-aligned it right after I got it. We both have been quite pleased with it, with one exception. This, and any contractor style table saw like it do not have any means to easily collect the sawdust. The open bottom an back areas of the saw let most of the sawdust go wherever it wants to.  As for cutting accuracy, I can get almost the same results on it that I can get on my 1980's vintage Unisaw. His saw still has the Jet Lock fence and I'm looking for either a Biesmeier or Unifence used for him. The side wings on the saw are stamped steel and this initially bothered me, but they haven't affected the use of the saw. If you don't like them, some carefully made plywood wings with high pressure laminate on them would be a good alternative. I doubt that you will find good cast iron wings for it, and if you do they will be costly. Magnetic feather boards are almost never needed outside the cast iron part of the saw table, so iron wings really don't do much for you except make the whole top the same color.

Charley.