Grilling and Smoking BBQ

MattF

On 8/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, lewisc said:

I'm about to dive into the world of BBQ. All of my experience is with a gas BBQ but I'm chasing that slow cooked goodness. After a bit of research, I've come up with this model: 

3724-1.jpg?v=1513623077

It's an entry level unit but should be good for starting out. Quite a few videos and reviews are favourable. It also gives the option of charcoal grilling.  I've been researching heaps of sites but any hints and tips from you guys would be great.

Check out the Oklahoma Joes. I have heard good things.

On 8/26/2018 at 7:47 PM, K Cooper said:

Does the salmon make the ribs healthier:o! That salsa looks darn good. 

Salmon is for Lisa. I don’t like it. I like other fish. I let it share the pit when the ribs are wrapped as I don’t want a cross-taste issue to develop. 

The salsa was good. 

23 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Is that your recipe for the salsa? Care to share? Me and Hatch peppers git along really  well. 

I just chop up tomatoes, white onions, and peppers. Then toss with Lime Juice, Salt, Pepper, granulated garlic, and chili powder. Let sit for a while for flavor melding. 

• Like 2

First chicken wings are done. A simple spice rub of cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and smoked paprika. Smoked for 2hours between 200-250. 

As far my knowledge of such things is, they turned out alright. Tender, juicy and packed with Smokey flavours. I’ll continue to practice with chicken while I workout how to balance temps and what to do. The end goal will be to get a Katz like pastrami. 

438B2149-4AC7-4FB2-B3EB-736544504785.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lewisc said:

First chicken wings are done. A simple spice rub of cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and smoked paprika. Smoked for 2hours between 200-250. 

As far my knowledge of such things is, they turned out alright. Tender, juicy and packed with Smokey flavours. I’ll continue to practice with chicken while I workout how to balance temps and what to do. The end goal will be to get a Katz like pastrami. 

438B2149-4AC7-4FB2-B3EB-736544504785.jpeg

Looks good. I like to do chickens at a little higher temp so the skins crisps up, around 325-350. 

66FAFD8B-375F-46FC-920A-7CA74FFCE24C.thumb.jpeg.6122fbc8bcf922b806566e2201558353.jpeg

Try doing a pork shoulder. They are very forgiving and easy to cook. This will give you some practice with maintaining temps for long smokes. If you need any tips let me know, but I run shoulders at 225-250 to an internal temp of 195, and start check for probe tender. Once done wrap in foil and place in cooler to rest for 1 hour minimum.

• Like 1

Everyone has their own way of cooking BBQ.

When I cook pork butt, I give it a liberal dose of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a less liberal dose of smoked paprika.  Cook it at 225-250 until internal temperature is 165-170.  Wrap it in foil and continue cooking until internal temperature is 205.  Rest it for an hour or longer.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

@MattF, when you say cooler, do you mean like an Igloo cooler without ice? 

Exactly. I wrap the meat in foil, and then in towels. Place meat in regular cooler to rest. Resting allows the meat to absorb juices back into the fibers. Red meat and pork should always be allowed to rest, even steaks. 

I have left shoulders and briskets in a cooler for up to 6 hours and they are still hot when pulled out. Being able to keep meat hot for this along also eliminates the need to try to "time" the cook, which is near impossible with large cuts. Every piece cooks different.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, K Cooper said:

@MattF, when you say cooler, do you mean like an Igloo cooler without ice? 

Echoing Matt.

I use a soft sided cooler.  A large folded towel in the bottom, then stuff towels around and on top of the meat to take up the rest of the space.   It will stay so hot you can't handle it bare handed for hours. 

I take BBQ to family reunions and parties all the time.  Serves up piping hot.

I would argue there are only two reasons to rest meat, one is to let it cool so you can pull it. The other is to keep it in a hot box (cooler + towels) because it's done early. Meathead on amazingribs.com has a great article on the science of resting meat. 

In the beginning there was brisket.....
Then the brisket lost 5 lbs and rolled around in SPOG.....
After a while fire and smoke were created......
The smoke beckoned to the brisket.....
The brisket ventured to the smoke and snuggled into its warm embrace....

IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.fada496988f26870ace1ef4bb98747a3.JPGIMG_1532.thumb.JPG.4dc05cf6a3cacf7521931412507ae0c8.JPGIMG_1533.thumb.JPG.6fc30ce7e8120eb4a12dcfcaa1ee8108.JPG

This went into the cooker at 5:30pm, this morning at 8:00 am this is where I am at.  

AEA6326C-CDE7-446C-8282-EBA3EBF38FA9.thumb.jpg.336ab3b6d56c849d1d9abd6933b026ab.jpg

This is what it looks like right before I wrapped it in foil.  Once it gets to 200 F I will transfer it to the cooler to rest.

B490EE59-816C-42D3-A4BA-2865CAE364D6.thumb.jpg.ba4d3f79c7751bb4d93aae3ebbe02026.jpg

• Like 2

@Klappco and everyone.  How do you keep food from sticking to the grates?  Particularly things like turkey burgers.

I have a Weber gas grill with stainless steel grates.  I get the grill hot and wire brush the grate before cooking.  I have tried swabbing the grate with oil and swabbing the food with oil without good results.  I have also tried Weber's grill spray which works a little better, but food still sticks.

• 5 weeks later...

So I haven’t made anything from timber  for a while but today I smoked my first brisket. My guests managed to eat the whole thing so it must have been good enough. 

Maintaining the smoker was challenging. My smoker is a cheaper one so I need to mod it a bit to help with the temps. It was smoked for 4 hours, wrapped in foil and put back in the smoker for another 3 and then spent 2 hours in the esky. Nice and tender and packed full of flavour. 

9DAF41EE-F1A4-47CA-AC06-B1DD7839169C.jpeg

118799D3-B070-42A4-9DDE-476253EFA6C1.jpeg

A22C0E63-00F8-4122-804F-CF4629565956.jpeg

• Like 2

Late to the party here, but for those looking at lower cost smokers, I suggest looking into the Pit Barrel Cooker. It is extremely easy to operate and produces exceptional results. Plus you get to cook your meat by hanging it on hooks. It also has huge capacity and cooks faster than traditional smoker methods. 

pit_barrel_cooker_package_2016_350pix.png?itok=ID3NLSTi

Image result for pit barrel cooker amazing ribs

https://amazingribs.com/smoker/pit-barrel-cooker-review

I've been very happy with mine. 

• 5 months later...