Woodcraft Cabinet making class

I'd imagine E is right, totally instructor dependent.  I took exactly one class at my local WC, it was the "intro to the lathe" class when I first got my lathe.  I had never so much as turned a lathe on so I thought it would be a good investment.  It was.  Very good class and I'm happy I took it.  Of course, I'd expect the "beginner" classes to be fairly decent as a rule.  No idea what the more advanced classes look like.  

27 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Gonna be instructor-dependent.  I've never taken a class at a WC because I've never seen one taught by someone who was worth learning from.

yep that is what would scare me ... and especially at almost $300 (at least for the cabinet bulding class here at my local) I would want someone worth learning from. Nothing like taking a class and learning wrong or improper ways of doing things. I mean it is just a cabinet but still. I would assume there are some things that should always be a certain way and some rules to always follow.

I may be wrong, but I think each Woodcraft franchisee sets up their own classes with local talent.  So for example I have never seen the class you are referring to offered here.

I have not attended one of their classes, yet, as I always seem to be working that weekend, but I would like to.  Let us know if you go.

Your local store experience will differ from others as mentioned.  Unless taught by an instructor who merits the cost I would be cautious.  I have been in a few Woodcrafts and Rocklers around the state while classes are in session and they vary widely.  What method will be taught; pocket holes, Sommerfeld, brad nailers or traditional joinery?  Are material included?  Do you get to complete the effort even if time runs short? 

Like Llama, I'm not trying to make light of this.  If you are at a place where you want to take a cabinet class of some sort, I would saturate all the YouTube's, Fine Woodworking Online and books/magazines I could absorb first.  This would put me in a better place to know what I want to learn and what may be a waste of my time; not because it is no-good but, because it doesn't relate to what you are going to do.

So the class is only $120 as a father day promo.  Not like throwing down a grand at the northwest.

Agreed about the instructor. That could make or break any course. 

Specifically, I want to learn about the design of a SET of cabinets and the intracacies of full box vs web frame boxes and creation and install of faceframes that the the whole thing together. I always think about building cabinets for the kitchen. This would be more of a  sanity check class to see if that is something I actually want to do.

I have built one off cabinets before, just interested in learning more.

I would probably take the class. If nothing else you will probably meet some other wood workers and swap some ideas. My company used to send us to Motorola classes in Schaumburg and I learned more from the other techs in the class than I did from the instructor. Just sayin.

• Like 2

Guest Randy

While Woodcraft may have a basic outline of what should be covered, the detailed content would likely be dependent on the instructor and his/her experience. I have taken a couple of classes at the Woodcraft nearest my house. I took a 2-parter on Sketchup which was a tremendous class, but that was because the instructor was very knowledgable about Sketchup, was patient with the class, answered all our questions, and we did a lot of hands-on work actually drawing stuff.

The other classes were OK and I have to say I have always learned multiple things about the topic the class was on, just not maybe as much as I would have liked. From that standpoint, any class which is relatively inexpensive and nearby where you live (or you wouldn't be considering it), will likely provide some improvement in your knowledge. If you already know cabinet making basics, it may not be quite as useful. They will run the range of value, just like any class you might take except possibly a class from a well-know professional woodworker, furniture make, or cabinet maker.

The best thing to do would be to find out who the instructor is, research that person's work and resume, and if you like what you see, take it.  If not, don't.

The problem as I see it is, if you're a newb and you get a bonehead instructor, he's gonna give you bad ideas and you won't know the difference.  And if you're an experienced woodworker, most classes won't be of much value to you because it will all be old hat material.  So generally I think unless you know exactly who the instructor is and he's been vetted thoroughly, or you're taking a very technique-specific class, Woodcraft classes are generally not that great.  I'd save my money and vacation time and go see a real instructor of your choice wherever he is in the country.

Personally I find online learning to be a better value because you can watch a technique and then immediately try it at home with your own tools and your own workflow, and there's a ton of good information to be found online...if you know where to look.  If you're just starting and you don't have the tools to experiment in your own shop, then local classes make more sense.  But again, beware of who's teaching.  There are a million hacks out there, and just because someone is given the title of "instructor" at a woodworking store...means just about diddly squat.  They have barely more credibility than someone who buys a camera and opens a youtube account.  Don't assume that because a guy owns a Woodcraft it means he knows how to pick a good instructor.

I've taken several classes, in Northern VA and in TN and enjoyed all of them. I know the local Springfield VA WCoffers cabinet classes several times a year, so my guess is the class has been well received. Unless there is some tool or tie you want more, I'd take the class. You are as likely to get bad info on the internet as you are in a class. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Has anyone taken the cabinet making and design class at woodcraft?  My wife offered to enroll me in the Father's day weekend class if I wanted. 

If you did, id love to hear your experience.

Have some fun and take the class. Can't hurt anything......

Ive beem eyeing up my local store's classes and the hand cut dovetail class caught my eye...I just don't know if I could get a day pass from the wife to take it.  I think they'd be useful and I think you know enough to know if you are being fed a load of crap.

23 hours ago, Eric. said:

The best thing to do would be to find out who the instructor is, research that person's work and resume, and if you like what you see, take it.  If not, don't.

We looked into a pyrography class for my GF at our "local" WC here in Cleveland.  She is very skilled already, but I know she would learn a bunch of things since she is pretty much self taught.  The course listing here implied that we could contact that instructor to discuss what level course she should register for.  Give the WC a call and see if they can get you in contact with the instructor to discuss if the course is a waste of money or not. 

But at the least your statement that it would be a sanity check makes it worth going anyways. 

The reason I might seem especially skeptical of Woodcraft classes is because of a fresh wound...

I can't really get into too much detail, but I was recently "involved" in a "class" offered by a local "woodworking organization" and taught by a person near the top of the hierarchy of that organization...someone who is perceived to be an expert, or at least an authority on the matter.  And it was filled with so much bad information that I basically had to remove myself from the premises before I started overtly correcting and contradicting him in front of the people he was teaching.  Some of it was right, or at least debatable.  Some of it was shockingly wrong.  And I guarantee because this person was in a position of authority with the backing of a trusted entity, the newbs (and they were all newbs) didn't question what he was saying at all because they didn't know the difference - they took it as gospel - and now they're walking around with bad information.

Why the mystery about the class you didn't like?    Anyone that may frequent this forum and report back on you is already going to do it.   Plus you walked out of the class so any damage has already been done.    What was the blatantly wrong information that prompted you to walk out?

These are all good recommendations. True that the class will be instructor dependant. I live right between two WCs, 1 1/2 hrs in each direction. I took the cabinet making class at one a few years ago. The instructor gave a few pointers, then introduced us to the Tablesaw and we put it together with pocket screws. Just recently I took a similar class with a friend as encouragement​ for him and had a completely different experience. We built the cabinet and had a choice of pocket screws or Festool Domino's. Drawer construction was part of it and we had a choice of handheld router jig or using the router table jig for dovetail. Great class.

I've taken about 5 WC courses and ALWAYS learned something. I also watch many YouTube etc. videos and find that the videos see very helpful if you already know what you're doing, but can be confusing if you don't have a clue to begin with, whereas having an instructor, even though it is often tedious, gives you the security to ask questions and recieved feedback on your special needs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk