Jean from France

Jean [Fr]

Hi there,

As far as I remember, I always made things out of wood. My parents made their own home and there were tools and materials everywhere. It was in the countryside near Paris and there were a forest next fence. So I made toys, tree houses (meant to be castles), miscellaneous stuff... Now as a father I build much reasonable things. I'm lucky enough to have a basement shop. I don't have much fancy/expensive tools, but everything works fine. I believe I have all I need with few extras.

I'm not into classic stuff. I respect the knowledge and the passed craftsmen's realizations, but I like my century, from tools to realizations. I don't live in the past. When I was younger, I remember people yelling that routers was not real woodworking. Now everybody (except maybe Shannon ?) have power tools and nobody is yelling against them anymore, but against CNCs. Funny, isn't it ? Roubo was at the high end of XVIII th century's technology. If power tools or CNCs existed, he would probably use some. Anyways, I'm no extreme modernist, I also like hand tools. The workshop is quieter without electric tools. And sometimes you get the job done faster with a handtool than to plug and setup any power tool and its accessories. It's also better to bring from the stock a piece of hand sawed board to the table saw than to break your back and manage a dangerous cut.

Because I enjoy a lot Mark's videos (I'm an early viewer) I wish to find kind people here and share tips and good mood. ^_^

I'll show later some realizations.

Jean.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for you warm welcome, I appreciate that. And thanks for the French words ! ;)

@shaneymack Well, the [Fr] was mostly for understanding it's the French male first name, as Jean is usualy for women in English.
Hopefully that will prevents a possible embarrassment in this largely dudes audience. :wacko:
I'll be proud to be considered as a "Quebequois", because unless they speak a beautiful French, they also speak English perfectly. Unlike me...

I wish I make at least myself understandable, event if reading the following I'm not sure anymore.
I count a lot on your indulgence about my English. This is the seccond reason about the [Fr] tag.

3 hours ago, Jfitz said:

(and for what it's worth, Shannon *does* own a 20" planer.....he loves his hand tools, but he also loves to be efficient when the need arises.....)

You're so right ! I knew that (as I'm also an early watcher of RWW channel) I just tried to put a smile on some faces. Now I feel a bit lonely... Sorry.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome, Jean! Good to have you, and see you have already jumped into conversation!

Oh, thank you ! You just pointed my major fault : I speak too much !

I'm so excited to talk to you guys on the forum !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jean [Fr] said:

I wish I make at least myself understandable, event if reading the following I'm not sure anymore.
I count a lot on your indulgence about my English. This is the seccond reason about the [Fr] tag

You speak better English than most Americans.  I wouldn't worry about it.

In fact after I read your first couple posts I just assumed you were an American or Canadian living abroad...the latter being more likely given the name.  French schools are better than American schools, clearly.

• Like 2

It's so kind from you @Eric. I must confess I was not a very serious student in English, despite my huge desire to impress foreign ladies.
I'm afraid I never manage to put a kiss on their lips, neither a step in UK or US. What a lack of practice...
Hopefully I write better than I speak, and I can take my time writing. Probably you won't understand any word from my mouth.
Internet is the best invention for dunces, I really love it !
Don't blame US students, there's no use of speaking foreign languages : everybody's understand English nowadays.

Welcome aboard, Jean! My wife and I have traveled a couple times in France and fell in love with the country and the people. I guess we're continuing a long tradition of American Francophiles, dating back to Ben Franklin and the American Revolution. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Count me in on the quieter life, a small cottage with a shop, and with any luck some woods nearby for strolling. I promise we're not stereotypical Americans; you won't even know we're there. ;) 

• Like 1

Frenchs are very proud of their common history and friendship with American people. Anybody is welcome in France. By tradition we respect origins and incoming culture, because immigrants always made our country. It's not really different from USA. I don't know if stereotypicals still lives nowadays. Globalization and climate change shows people have more in common than they think. Anybody is born somewhere, and that does not really matter. Please don't hide. Come as a friend and you will be ours.

• Like 1