Bourbon, Scotch, and Whisk(e)y, oh my...

OldSouthWoodCraft

I know most men of any legal age enjoy a good beer or two in their free time but what about fine spirits?

So in the spirit, or spirits, of last week's post about grilling and smoking aficionados, I thought I would ask if anyone else is a brown liquor fan like myself?

My favorite is classic Kentucky bourbon with the occasional Irish or Scotch whisk(e)y mixed in. My collection is rather small, 40 to 42 bottles, but as my love grows so does my collection. It's like taking up woodworking you just can't have enough.d160b27c55b6eabeac7a59c749eddec3.jpg391722cf54f9adf385a944ff16c93c8e.jpg1d774e986b5bb396295a09dfd2d43554.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Never heard of Blood Oath.... I'll have to pick one up! 

It's a limited release product from a company called Luxco. They own Rebel Yell and Ezra Brooks as well. The original release in 2015 (Pact I) was delicious and the 2016 (Pact II) release wasn't as great. I have yet to open my 2017 bottle to see how it tastes. Depending on your local market you should still be able to find one tucked in on a shelf somewhere.

Dark spirits like fine cigars is one of those things that I would really like to develop a taste for. Unfortunately at 31, it hasn't happened yet. 

No worries Brendon. I'm just shy of 30 and unfortunately I've been a fan for many years. But that's the upside or downside, depends on your view, of growing up in TN and working in KY for years. Youu won't be able to escape brown liquor.

I probably have 30 different bourbons at home. 

Buffalo Trace is my daily go-to

Blanton's when i want something nicer. 

I have been buying PVH from the same store for 10 years before it became a thing.  I get two bottles every year at normal retail price. 

Just now, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Mike you are a man after my own heart. That's some serious money sitting on that shelf. Did you buy those out right or have to hunt them on secondary market?

out right.  I have been buying from the same store for 10 years.  He holds 2 for me every year. 

Retail on the 20 year was $70 when I started buying.  Now is is $130 retail. which I think is too high.   It is good but not that good.  

the 12 year is still around $60 retail which is fair.  This fall I might just ask for 2 12 years. 

out right.  I have been buying from the same store for 10 years.  He holds 2 for me every year. 

You are one lucky sob. In South Carolina everything is a lottery system unless you are a high end bar or restaurant. Then they charge you your first born for a pour. I saw a flight of Pappy for $140 with only half ounce pours. I just looked at the owner and said "good luck" and walked out.

27 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Dark spirits like fine cigars is one of those things that I would really like to develop a taste for. Unfortunately at 31, it hasn't happened yet. 

I lived on a steady diet of Tequila and miller lite from the age of 20-25.  In fact I am pretty sure tequila saved my life - i ruptured my appendix at 22 but did not seek medical attention for a week.  I thought it was just a stomach ache.  The doctor was shocked that the infection did not spread.  I think all the tequila in my body killed it :) 

After that much tequila, bourbon tastes like coca cola.  

I still don't like cigars.  I never smoked cigarettes and quit weed in high school after a girlfriend had too much and I had to deliver her to her father totally passed out.  He scared me straight, lol. 

Irish and Canadian whiskey are ok, too.  My next love after tequila was Johnny Black Label and once again, I had too much of it and now really don't like scotch at all.  I will have to occasional Macallan 20 year and I have a bottle each of Lagavulin and Laphroaig as a sissy test for any party guests who talk a big game.  

I'm a fan of a nice single malt Scotch. Macallan 12 is my go to. Also like the 18 and 20. I normally drink it during the winter. Can't keep a collection. I buy a bottle and drink it. The tax on liquor is ridiculous here in Washington state.

53 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Same here.  I've tried quality versions of all of these things...and they all just taste like dog turds in my mouth.  Guess I don't have the right genes for it.

• Like 2

I don't know my Irish whisky as well as bourbon but that looks like a damn fine bottle to me. The presentation box is an nice touch too.

It was brewed at the old Jameson brewery. I am a huge Irish WhiskEy fan But for my every day drinking I love 12 year old Jameson. Better than the normal Jameson and IMHO better than the 18 year as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mmm. Lagavulin! Laphroaig! Used to love me some powerful single malt, with so much peat flavor there were roots growing in the bottom of the glass. But then I drank a lifetime's worth of alcohol in about two years, so now that I've hit my quota I don't drink anymore. Still get cravings for a fine Scotch every now and again, especially when watching British mysteries.

• Like 1

I've never caught the collector bug, but I do love me some whiskey. Never been a huge drinker either, even in college I topped out at 5 drinksdrinks. These days its a beer or glass of whiskey maybe once a week.

That said, I like to keep a decent selection around. Four Rose is my go too, but I keep Elijah Craig and Glenlivet stocked as well. If I'm feeling flush I'll grab a good bottle of Macallan Oak, or Redbreast. If I'm drinking Irish whiskey it's usually Powers, which I fell for in Dublin.

I've never caught the collector bug, but I do love me some whiskey. Never been a huge drinker either, even in college I topped out at 5 drinksdrinks. These days its a beer or glass of whiskey maybe once a week.

That said, I like to keep a decent selection around. Four Rose is my go too, but I keep Elijah Craig and Glenlivet stocked as well. If I'm feeling flush I'll grab a good bottle of Macallan Oak, or Redbreast. If I'm drinking Irish whiskey it's usually Powers, which I fell for in Dublin.

I have not tried Powers. Yet. On my list now though:)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

I have not tried Powers. Yet. On my list now though:)

I find it "cleaner" than Jameson. A bit more flavor up front, and less aftertaste. Burns a little less when you let it sit on your tongue. Should be available at any proper liquor store, and it usually sits right between Jameson regular and Black Barrel in terms of price.

Here's a question for the group. Anyone use special drinkware? I got a set of glencairn glasses as a gift, and they do seem to make the whiskey taste better than just a regular lowball glass. I can't tell if its a real difference or all in my head.

• Like 2