Bourbon, Scotch, and Whisk(e)y, oh my...

Well, it is kind of pointless to drink something 130 proof neat.  Either a few drops of water or a cube are necessary.  Otherwise you just taste heat.   But for standard bottle strength (80-90 proof) neat is best. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a Schott Zwiesel crystal whisky glass that's damn near unbreakable. Thin, light and has a wonderful ring to it. Used to drink that Tennessee whiskey but not so much these days. Drifted over t

This, from the freezer, chased with anything or nothing, is bueno!  

The wife and I started collecting bourbon when we lived in Louisville. Then we started collecting Scotch a few years ago. We have amassed a decent collection of both.

Posted Images

Well, it is kind of pointless to drink something 130 proof neat.  Either a few drops of water or a cube are necessary.  Otherwise you just taste heat.   But for standard bottle strength (80-90 proof) neat is best. 

I'm right there with you Mike. I have a Glencairn glass I will use for my higher proof pours like Bookers, GTS, and Stagg Jr . But if I'm drinking the lightweight stuff, anything less than BIB, i will use a cocktail glass because I have a heavy pour. If I have friends over I will break out some small aperitif glasses (1 oz) so that way I don't waste any liquor in case they don't like it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, aknotsdeath said:

It was brewed at the old Jameson brewery. I am a huge Irish WhiskEy fan emoji14.png But for my every day drinking I love 12 year old Jameson. Better than the normal Jameson and IMHO better than the 18 year as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm a jameson fan too, and if you ever have the chance, try some of their 25 yr single malt.  I came across a bar that had some once, and it was worth it. 

But if you like Jameson's, then you definately have to try Angel's Envy.  That may be the best whiskey I have ever had.

Also a fan of Beam's Devil's Cut.  I don't know if it's actually made from barrel squeeze out, but it tastes like it, and it's wonderful if I want something with a bit of bite in the flavor.

Not a fan of Scotch though, all that peat just tastes like cardboard to me. 

I'm a jameson fan too, and if you ever have the chance, try some of their 25 yr single malt.  I came across a bar that had some once, and it was worth it. 

But if you like Jameson's, then you definately have to try Angel's Envy.  That may be the best whiskey I have ever had.

Also a fan of Beam's Devil's Cut.  I don't know if it's actually made from barrel squeeze out, but it tastes like it, and it's wonderful if I want something with a bit of bite in the flavor.

Not a fan of Scotch though, all that peat just tastes like cardboard to me. 

Devils cut made me puke in my mouth a little bit lol. And I will have to try both the other two. Thanks!

It may be one of those manufatured flavors, but I enjoyed it.   But with Angel's Envy, everybody who tastes it goes "Oooooh" and then finishes the bottle. 

It could also be me. I have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label and I will take regular Jameson over it any day. Not a lot of people agree with me on that one either.

Straight rye whiskey.  I collect mine one bottle at a time.  When that bottle is empty I get another, usually of something else to try.  Had a favorite, Jefferson 10 year, but it hasn't been available for a couple of years.  

I don't drink it neat, but I don't want more cubes than fingers.  Been meaning to get one of those ice trays that make the big ice balls.

• Like 1

I too am with the single malt scotch crowd.  Was never loyal to any one bottle but I wouldn't drink anything less.  Single malt on a bit of ice...the best.   Just like ClassAct, I get a little antsy around the winter holidays but I've had my quota as well. 

• Like 2
Straight rye whiskey.  I collect mine one bottle at a time.  When that bottle is empty I get another, usually of something else to try.  Had a favorite, Jefferson 10 year, but it hasn't been available for a couple of years.  

I don't drink it neat, but I don't want more cubes than fingers.  Been meaning to get one of those ice trays that make the big ice balls.

While I'm not quite a rye guy, I do appreciate a good rye from time to time. Usually it's the Willet Family Estate if I can find it. Mark, I wanted to see what your thoughts are on the Michters Rye and the High West Bourye? I see High West alot and just haven't ever pulled the trigger on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

While I'm not quite a rye guy, I do appreciate a good rye from time to time. Usually it's the Willet Family Estate if I can find it. Mark, I wanted to see what your thoughts are on the Michters Rye and the High West Bourye? I see High West alot and just haven't ever pulled the trigger on it.

Funny you should mention Michters that happens to be the very bottle I'm half way through testing.  Indeed I might be pursuaded to run some further experiments later this very evening.

I think that Michters is good rye, but I wouldn't call me an aficionado.  After all, I liked the last bottle and the one before that and the one before that.  

I had some Whistlepig once that was a higher proof and I did not find it very mellow.  The smoothest I've had is the long lost Jeffersons 10 year old.  My second favorite is probably Kovals which is distilled in Chicago.  But I would definetly buy Michters again.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

I know nothing about that liquid but if it's so rare, why do they have to say it 3 times? 

Perhaps it's like Beetlejuice.:unsure:

I like to try out all the brown liquors, but I've never developed a taste for them.

Like any shots of "full octane" liquor, they all make me almost dry heave on the first few "hits". After I've been "inoculated" I'm okay, but those first few sips are a trial.

Nonetheless, I love me a few hits of Hennesey while out camping or boating every now and then. And an Irish Coffee is good fun too.

I have a couple of nice single malts, some Jack Daniels, some Buffalo Trace, and a couple other brown liquors in the cabinet, but they are probably beyond their "best before" dates.

36 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I bet that's tasty and pricey !  Isn't that the stuff that's hard to get Coop ?

Only budget wise. I usually get it from a vendor 2-3 times a year. He's retiring at the end of the year and I probably am too. After that, it's probably going to look like this:wacko:!

IMG_0380.JPG.c60bf0aa8fba4c17dbe2205f35f23c73.JPG

9 hours ago, aknotsdeath said:

I want to try Van Winkle at some point. I heard it's awesome from a few people.

Its fine.  Honestly I don't think anyone could ID it in a blind test against other wheated bourbons of the same age/proof.  I would not pay above retail for it, but I don't need to :) 

Unfortunately the bourbon bandwagon has made it difficult to find good aged bourbon.  10 years ago any decent liquor store would have a couple to choose from.  

This Jefferson's 25 is from the same stocks as the PVH 20 of a few years ago.  Up until a few years ago PVH did not have its own supply of bourbon.  Julian Van Winkle would buy extra barrels of aged wheated bourbon, taste them, and bottle the ones he liked best.  Now Buffalo Trace  makes it for him under contract.  

I keep an extra 20 year PVW bottle and fill it with Maker's Mark for parties.  Everyone knows I have a good stash of Pappy, but 99% of people who ask don't know bourbon from scotch.   They all take a sip, say "smooth" and text pictures to their friends

IMG_1103.thumb.JPG.81f08405aee5a87c1dd9c2f962b517bf.JPGIMG_1104.thumb.JPG.4c8ee4626cdb69554d200e875e6e6389.JPGIMG_1105.thumb.JPG.176c5f62e27d12d74f770b2c3e4d1535.JPG