Bourbon, Scotch, and Whisk(e)y, oh my...


Recommended Posts

The wife and I started collecting bourbon when we lived in Louisville. Then we started collecting Scotch a few years ago. We have amassed a decent collection of both.

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.f01b5622a167d80262249178f432c476.JPG

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.b6634450aba57b0172921fe99063f981.JPG

 

 

That's quite the beautiful collection. I see you have quite the affinity for High West, Orphan Barrel, and Jefferson's. I'm debating pulling the trigger on a Rhetoric 23 yo but at 157 plus tax I feel like my money is better spent elsewhere. Aka i need a new table saw in case anyone needs to get rid of one.

 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a Schott Zwiesel crystal whisky glass that's damn near unbreakable. Thin, light and has a wonderful ring to it. Used to drink that Tennessee whiskey but not so much these days. Drifted over t

This, from the freezer, chased with anything or nothing, is bueno!  

The wife and I started collecting bourbon when we lived in Louisville. Then we started collecting Scotch a few years ago. We have amassed a decent collection of both.

Posted Images

On 6/10/2017 at 0:05 PM, Mike. said:

Retail on the 20 year was $70 when I started buying.  Now is is $130 retail. which I think is too high.   It is good but not that good.  

the 12 year is still around $60 retail which is fair.  This fall I might just ask for 2 12 years. 

Ahh don't do that, I'll buy one hahaB)  Hell I live like 10 miles away from the Buffalo Trace distillery and have never had any pappy.  If I drink bourbon it's usually Woodford Reserve, when I graduated college I spent $90 on a bottle of Woodford's master collection I believe is what it was called, was def the best bourbon I've had.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark J said:

@Mike do you know if the Jeffersons presidential rye select is still around? I don't recall seeing that recently.

I bought that about 4 years ago, so I doubt. 

I don't think Jefferson's actuallys makes any bourbon or rye.   They but extra stocks of aged whisky and bottle it.  So a lot of their products are one-offs.  And with Bourbon being so popular the last 10 years I don't think there are many barrels looking for a home.  For most of the 80s and 90s bourbon was out of fashion, so for a while there was a glut of aged barrels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

 

 

That's quite the beautiful collection. I see you have quite the affinity for High West, Orphan Barrel, and Jefferson's. I'm debating pulling the trigger on a Rhetoric 23 yo but at 157 plus tax I feel like my money is better spent elsewhere. Aka i need a new table saw in case anyone needs to get rid of one.

 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

 

 

I certainly understand that. Most of the bourbon collection was acquired before I got into woodworking. I do like most of the High West products. They are a bit different and I like that about them. My favorite would probably be A Midwinter Nights Dram. I also enjoy the Contradiction by Smooth Ambler. Both are good blends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I love me some scotch... unfortunately I can't afford many of the higher end labels I have had the pleasure of trying. I typically drink Glenfiddich 12 but will occasionally splurge and get Glenlivet 18.

If I had a more open budget, I'd stock up on Aberfeldie and Lagavulin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So being my birthday today and all, and considering there hasn't been in whiskey in the house in 3 months, I decided to pick up a bottle of Angel's Envy.  I also picked up a 12 pack of Leinenkugel's Grapefruit Shandy.  I friggin love that stuff, but I can fully understand if you don't, there is no middle ground with that beer. 

Anyways, the GF decides to grab me a bottle of Jamesons Caskmates too!  So now I have two bottles of semi-premium whiskey.  I haven't even cracked the Angel's yet, but I'm 4 glasses into the Jamesons (hey, It's hot and I'm thirsty).  The Caskmates is somewhere between Irish and Scotch.  Pretty thick on the Oaky flavor.  Not the light hearted romp that regular Jamesons is.   Worth a try. 

 

And Oh my, the spell checker is going nuts.  Like every third word it doesn't understand.  Hoping it's the exotic nature of the post, and not a unknown drunkenness setting in. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
So being my birthday today and all, and considering there hasn't been in whiskey in the house in 3 months, I decided to pick up a bottle of Angel's Envy.  I also picked up a 12 pack of Leinenkugel's Grapefruit Shandy.  I friggin love that stuff, but I can fully understand if you don't, there is no middle ground with that beer. 

Anyways, the GF decides to grab me a bottle of Jamesons Caskmates too!  So now I have two bottles of semi-premium whiskey.  I haven't even cracked the Angel's yet, but I'm 4 glasses into the Jamesons (hey, It's hot and I'm thirsty).  The Caskmates is somewhere between Irish and Scotch.  Pretty thick on the Oaky flavor.  Not the light hearted romp that regular Jamesons is.   Worth a try. 

 

And Oh my, the spell checker is going nuts.  Like every third word it doesn't understand.  Hoping it's the exotic nature of the post, and not a unknown drunkenness setting in. 

 

You can't go wrong with Angels Envy especially for some Bday activities. But more importantly you seem to have a keeper on your hands if she gets you whiskey for your birthday. Cheers my good sir and have a happy birthday.

 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, MisterDrow said:

I love me some scotch... unfortunately I can't afford many of the higher end labels I have had the pleasure of trying. I typically drink Glenfiddich 12 but will occasionally splurge and get Glenlivet 18.

If I had a more open budget, I'd stock up on Aberfeldie and Lagavulin.

10 years ago a friend and I went to one of those scotch tasting seminars where at the end they try to sell you their brand.  We went for the free drinks but I ended up buying one of his single malt, single casket.  It was quite nice.  But he told us that very people in the world can discern anything over 20 years old.  He also said it's better to add water, not ice, as your drink will become more diluted as you let it sit.  I never had this problem.

Glenlivet was easy to buy.  Dewars (blended) was my go to when we went out and I required a less expensive alternative.  If you could drink a pint quite easily, it could get expensive in a hurry.

A friend of mine's boyfriend likes the smoky malts, neat.  A waste sure, but I didn't like them over ice either.       

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

10 years ago a friend and I went to one of those scotch tasting seminars where at the end they try to sell you their brand.  We went for the free drinks but I ended up buying one of his single malt, single casket.  It was quite nice.  But he told us that very people in the world can discern anything over 20 years old.  He also said it's better to add water, not ice, as your drink will become more diluted as you let it sit.  I never had this problem.

Glenlivet was easy to buy.  Dewars (blended) was my go to when we went out and I required a less expensive alternative.  If you could drink a pint quite easily, it could get expensive in a hurry.

A friend of mine's boyfriend likes the smoky malts, neat.  A waste sure, but I didn't like them over ice either.       

Hi I'm from Scotland where Whisky is in abundance!! If you can try Macallan its one of the best!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Iain said:

Hi I'm from Scotland where Whisky is in abundance!! If you can try Macallan its one of the best!!

Hi lain, you're right sir.  We tried a bunch of different ones...at a wedding rehearsal dinner at a local Scotch, beer and cigar tavern.  I tried the smoky ones there.  Macallan was highly memorable but on special order the mark up was too high for me at the time.  The memories, you are driving me to drink.  

In the past I wanted to visit Scotland many times. Thank you for sharing your products! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.