Anybody know how to bend sheet metal into a curly s-shape along it's length?

Speaking of oysters, prior to the middle of the 19th Century, they burned oyster shells to make quicklime to make plaster and mortar out of.  The pile of oyster shells on top of the "rick" of firewood was called a "lime rick".  You probably have heard of places named Lmerick.  Now you know how they got their name.

wp89790f3e_05_06.jpg

This process is known as Tabby when they add broken shells as aggregate to the mix. Prevalent with the Spanish originally and then used by English and French settlers. It so beautiful to see along the coast of SC, GA, and FL.

Tom I love to see your dedication to architectural history and preservation. Unfortunately for me it's too underutilized in my job somedays.TabbyInfo.pdf

1 hour ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Coop how does that work better than using an oyster knife/shucker? Haven't seen that set up before.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am curious as well. We just use oyster knives. 

You still use oyster knives and screwdrivers, but this is used to hold the oyster in place. Being shaped as it is and fairly soft, place this device on the counter or pickup tail gate and you don't have to hold the shell  in your hand. As the beer progresses, I'm less likely to use it and the band-aids come out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dolmetscher007 said:

Believe it or not... I have access to a 1 ton arbor press (nothing to write home about). But I also have access to a 20 ton hydraulic press.  So pressure isn't a problem. Snapping a wooden form... might be. 

Well there's your answer.   If you can make the form easily, use an .020"-.030" piece of aluminum.  Much easier to work than steel, cheaper, and won't rust.  Run it through a polisher wheel and it will shine.  You'll chew up some of the wooden dies, but hopefully they're easy to make. 

If they are a bit more complicated to make, you should make a die out of another material.  A good, yet complicated, way to make a form would be to make a positive out of wood, and then cast it in a machine strength resin, making a two part negative mold.  (Check out Smooth-On for this resin, they make it specifically for machine press dies to replace hardened steel dies).  Pop that in your press and off ya go!

• Like 2

I think the resin idea has merit.  Check out YouTube videos on casting pen blanks of wood and resin in a pressure pot. You can get mold material that you could shape to fit your design, then use resin and pieces of wood.  The wood should float in the mold so after its time in the pressure pot the final result should be a resin surface for the soap and a wood and resin base. The final product can be sanded like a pen blank and you should be able to get some neat looking effects. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You still use oyster knives and screwdrivers, but this is used to hold the oyster in place. Being shaped as it is and fairly soft, place this device on the counter or pickup tail gate and you don't have to hold the shell  in your hand. As the beer progresses, I'm less likely to use it and the band-aids come out.

Very nice. I have caught a few oyster knives in the hand. Normally use a towel to hold the oysters, really because they are hot when they come out of the steamer. But also protects the hand. I do like the tool you have there. 

Oysters should never be exposed to heat. Cool and salty, straight from the bay, not a "Product of Asia"! JMO But I hear what you're saying,&  to each his own, as long as they don't spend their lives living in the Philippines. 

Sorry OP for the diversion! 

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Oysters should never be exposed to heat. Cool and salty, straight from the bay, not a "Product of Asia"! JMO But I hear what you're saying,&  to each his own, as long as they don't spend their lives living in the Philippines. 

Sorry OP for the diversion! 

I like raw oysters, but cant eat that many. They also need to be on the smaller size with a nice briny taste to them. Gulf oysters are great. I can eat steamed oysters for hours. They are hard to get in the PNW. Let me rephrase that, they are extremely expensive. Even the local oysters are damn pricey. Growing up in Eastern NC we bought gulf oysters by the bushel. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MattF said:

I like raw oysters, but cant eat that many. They also need to be on the smaller size with a nice briny taste to them. Gulf oysters are great. I can eat steamed oysters for hours. They are hard to get in the PNW. Let me rephrase that, they are extremely expensive. Even the local oysters are damn pricey. Growing up in Eastern NC we bought gulf oysters by the bushel. 

Used to be cheap around here as well (have a boss who likes to tell stories), but over-harvesting and the lumber/shipping industries destroyed a lot of Oyster beds. Thankfully the Olympia native oyster has made a comeback. Not a huge oyster fan personally, but I love the local culture/history around them. Also, non-traditional, but an Oyster Po' Boy is a hell of a thing.

• Like 1

I live in Charleston SC. Oysters are literally everywhere. The concrete and asphalt is made with oyster shells. Every weekend involved an oyster roast. There are cocktails centered around raw oysters, hundreds of restaurants.... and... I f*****g hate oysters. It's like living in France, but you hate cheese. I have to keep that shit to myself. Whenever I meet someone that goes on and on about how he/she loves raw oysters, I always think, "No you don't! I get that you can eat it without being repulsed... but there is NO WAY that you actually like the mouthfeel of a raw oyster." 

It's great to see another Palmetto guy in group. I think there are some more but I don't remember who they may be.

The whole deal about oysters is crazy in this state and I avoided it for years. I finally gave in this past Christmas and I will eat one or two cooked oysters at a party so people will leave me alone. Raw oysters I will avoid like the plague though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonPacific said:

Used to be cheap around here as well (have a boss who likes to tell stories), but over-harvesting and the lumber/shipping industries destroyed a lot of Oyster beds. Thankfully the Olympia native oyster has made a comeback. Not a huge oyster fan personally, but I love the local culture/history around them. Also, non-traditional, but an Oyster Po' Boy is a hell of a thing.

My favorite local oyster I have found so far are Dabob's out of Dabob in the Hood Canal. The are a nice size, for me, with a good salt flavor.

I'll pass on the Oyster Po' Boy. Not a fan of fried oysters. Just something about them. I do love a good shrimp Po' Boy though.