Template Routing with Dremel

They make router style bases for dremels, that allow the dremel to balance upright on a work piece.  With the right bit, you could get a template to work.   But I'd think it would be easier to find the right equipment for a trim router, at about the same cost. 

Although they make bearing guided bits for the Dremel I do not know how usable a Dremel in general would be for template routing.  If you are talking about guide bushings I am not aware of a Dremel product for this.  You could certainly add your own baseplate to a Dremel base but, by the time I did all that I would just use a Palm Router like a Bosch Colt.  I have a base for my Colt that accepts standard PC collars.

I have a nice plunge base for my Dremel and it works well.  It works well because I use it within the capacity of the tool.  Too much lateral pressure will mis-align the bit by actually flexing the Dremel motor housing.  It is a hobby tool after all.

25 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

within the capacity of the tool.

Key words.  Dremels are for very light tasks and removing tiny bits of material.  They are not workhorses, they're detail tools.  I use a Dremel as part of my inlay process...but it's only the last step to kiss the scribe lines after hogging out the bulk of the waste with a small plunge router.

Again, OP needs to be more specific about what exactly he's trying to do.  "Template routing" can mean a lot of things.

A pneumatic tool or something like a Foredom flex shaft are completely different animals.  Probably worth the investment if you do a ton of inlay or detail work.  Dremels are pretty much junk now and they go "poof" if you push them at all.  I've been through a few and they died during what seemed to be fairly low-stress jobs.  My current one is a few years old and still runs fine because I treat it like the wimp that it is.

I've had exactly the same results with several Dremels made in the last 15 years.   The only one still running in the "Dremel" toolbox, is a single speed one from the 1960's.

I have die grinders in the metal shop, but they're not something I'd want to use where I use Dremels.