Sawdust disposal

Chet

The neighborhood was officially notified by the company that does our garbage pick up that we can no longer put sawdust in with our green waste.  This is puzzling on two fronts.  One, they take all of the green waste and mulch it... I have done that part for them already.  And two, most everything else that goes in the green wast is made up of basically the same organic material as sawdust.

Interesting.  A quick search on The Google shows that most companies accept sawdust in their recycling stream.

It might be worth a call to see what the reasons are for that decision - if it's something in the dust itself that has them concerned (such as finish/varnish, etc, from sanding operations, or different types of wood like walnut that can be a no-no for a lot of uses) , or if it's a material handling issue (i.e. the 'dust' in 'sawdust' causing them issues when it blows around).

I know around here, the dust from floor refinishing is a no-no because of the amount of old finish mixed into the sawdust.

I was talking with the driver as he left the notice on my can.  He said that it was the dust it creates when he dumps the can in to the truck.  I mentioned that if I now have to put it in my regular garbage can, isn't going to create that same dust when that truck dumps the can.  He shrugged his should and walked away. :mellow:

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Throw it in your compost pile with your naner peels and meat gristles.

I do but sometimes there is more then needed.  I even throw some loose in the garden beds.  But you know every once in a while you have one of those projects that push the limits.  I probably dump it in the green waste twice a year.

My woods were penned in for my two wolves to roam. The female was a digger, I mean big time digger, under both dog houses, and under the base of about 5 trees. So mulching the wolf pen I've done while they were alive.  Now that both are gone, I'm filling some damn big holes with my dust!

4 minutes ago, RichardA said:

My woods were penned in for my two wolves to roam. The female was a digger, I mean big time digger, under both dog houses, and under the base of about 5 trees. So mulching the wolf pen I've done while they were alive.  Now that both are gone, I'm filling some damn big holes with my dust!

That is awesome that you owned wolves! I bet they brought a good challenge for wrestling. My 25lb labradoodle puts up a fight, but she is so little and fluffy. . . :)

I also met a 6 week old gray wolf pup on the beach which was being socialized. Poor girl was left by the parents.

Didn't mean to hijack. But I thought that was too cool to not comment on!

I wish the the yard waste pick up took it here. I usually spread a few bags in the garden and save some for when I take a load of off cuts to wood waste management.

I'm always a bit unsure which exotics, if any, are harmful to the garden or yard.

Does anyone have any info as to which species should not be used as mulch?

4 hours ago, logos said:

I'm always a bit unsure which exotics, if any, are harmful to the garden or yard.

Does anyone have any info as to which species should not be used as mulch?

Good question!  I'm also considering what to do with the mulch, and there are definitely a variety of wood species involved.

10 hours ago, logos said:

which exotics, 

You may know this and that may be why you said exotics, but for anyone else reading... It is not just exotics. We would not put any nut tree leaves in the garden as they can carry blights that will hurt certain garden plants like potatos and tomatos which are nightshade variants. That means no walnut or hickory. I don't know that it matters around most grasses or trees, but I'd do some experimenting before I got a whole bunch of plants sick. 

• Like 1

I heard of a guy who had a neat way to get rid of leaves.  He would pile them in the back of his pickup truck, drive out in the country, remove the cover and lower the tailgate.  By the time he got back home, the leaves were gone. Hint!  Hint!

I'm saving my sawdust and burn it with my tree junk pile this winter.  Makes a good firestarter.  Just don't toss it on the fire.  WHOOSH!  Did it once.  To hot to stand by a fire right now.

6 minutes ago, Bankstick said:

I heard of a guy who had a neat way to get rid of leaves.  He would pile them in the back of his pickup truck, drive out in the country, remove the cover and lower the tailgate.  By the time he got back home, the leaves were gone. Hint!  Hint!