Sawdust disposal

Chet

I've had drivers tell me I couldn't put something in my cans but when I call the actual sanitation department they said it was ok so I requested they notify their drivers. Sometimes the drivers make up their own rules. 

You may want to bag it and find some horse people. They use it for bedding and in many cases will pay you for it. 

2 minutes ago, Ibboykin said:

You may want to bag it and find some horse people. They use it for bedding and in many cases will pay you for it. 

You have to be super careful about what species you use in that scenario...any amount of walnut use will render that entire bin completely unacceptable for use with horses.

• Like 1

I'm shocked every time my trash company does not leave my trash along with a nastigram when I put a load of shavings on the curb.  Thismorning they took a can with more than two 35 gallon drums of maple shavings plus scraps that were sticking two feet above the lid.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2017 at 11:54 PM, Ibboykin said:

I was just looking through my local sawmill's web site and I see they sell it for 10 euro per cubic metre. I assume someone must buy it.

12 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm shocked every time my trash company does not leave my trash along with a nastigram when I put a load of shavings on the curb.  Thismorning they took a can with more than two 35 gallon drums of maple shavings plus scraps that were sticking two feet above the lid.

I feel this way alot because i do that weekly. However, then i see neighbors throwing out appliances, dining room sets etc, and i dont feel so bad. Besides, i usually make something for Wally each christmas. He was tickled to death when i gave him a big 20x20 end grain maple board last christmas. 

• Like 1

Trash is trash.  Unless something is toxic or explosive, I don't really see why the trash companies discriminate.  Our waste service uses trucks with automated arms to dump our cans into their trucks...I could have dead bodies in my dumpster and they wouldn't know until it got back to the dump...where they pick through every nasty freaking thing we give them. :huh:  I'm not joking, they really do this.  Everything they collect they dump into a giant concrete building with conveyor belts and they have workers there picking out this or that.  The city gives us proprietary blue trash bags for recycling so I guess that's the main reason, but you'd think they could come up with a better system for segregating it.

So the next time you think you hate your job, walk five minutes in their shoes.  Yuck.  What a life.

Trash is trash.  Unless something is toxic or explosive, I don't really see why the trash companies discriminate.  Our waste service uses trucks with automated arms to dump our cans into their trucks...I could have dead bodies in my dumpster and they wouldn't know until it got back to the dump...where they pick through every nasty freaking thing we give them. :huh:  I'm not joking, they really do this.  Everything they collect they dump into a giant concrete building with conveyor belts and they have workers there picking out this or that.  The city gives us proprietary blue trash bags for recycling so I guess that's the main reason, but you'd think they could come up with a better system for segregating it.

So the next time you think you hate your job, walk five minutes in their shoes.  Yuck.  What a life.

Many places have limited landfill space, and better ways to dispose of organic matter like sawdust and wood scraps. As landfills are incredibly complex and expensive things to build and maintain to EPA standards, they try hard to avoid clogging them with stuff that has a better place to go.

Modern landfills do not decompose material very fast, they actually sort of preserve it.

• Like 1

The one time I can think of that they didn't take my trash was because I had cut a small tree limb and it was on top of the bags.  Yard waste must be separated, so they didn't want to take the one measly limb along with the regular junk.

Our company has the hydraulic lifter thingies too, but a worker has to get out of the truck, open can lids and line the cans up to the lifter arms, so they still end up looking inside each can.

• Like 1

My wood scraps are just placed in the garbage, sawdust and planer chips are double bagged and put in there too. The city won't pick up "construction materials", so if I do any renovation I make certain that I cut or break everything up and bag it, then put it in the garbage. Small pieces of metal or obviously recyclable material gets put in the recycle can. The city will take brush and tree clippings, but limit this to "one pickup truck sized load per week per home owner and no branches or tree trunks larger than 4" in diameter", but they didn't say anything about how dense this one pickup load could be. I tie my bundles together, so it's usually about 3 pickup trucks worth if the rope comes off. Never have a problem with doing it this way. If I take down and cut up a tree, the large and heavy pieces are taken at the dump, but the charge is $6 or $12 per pickup load (depending on who is at the gate). I just took 7 loads of up to 28" diameter pine tree trunk pieces to the dump. Each load was just under 1 ton and I got lucky because they only charged me $6 per load. If I bring construction debris, they weigh it and charge me based on each hundred pounds.

I got lucky a few years ago when using and planning a lot of Douglas Fir. I mentioned to the woman at the lumber yard counter how much of it was being turned into chips by the planer and how it was such a waste to have to throw it away, (since I would have trouble hiding that much in the garbage). She asked me to bring it to her in construction waste bags, because she wanted it for mulch in her yard. I took her about 16 construction waste bags (2 pickup truck loads) packed full with it.

Charley