Name Inlay

I hope this will encourage someone on here to try and use an inlay in their project. I use a Cricut to cut out the template. I sometimes use transfer paper and carbon paper but this is a lot more accurate. The first letter shows the method that I used,  then the video speeds up to show the rest of the name. Sorry about the bad quality of video. I am still trying to learn how to do these. 

• Like 1

That is amazing, Brad. If anything, it totally discouraged me from ever wanting to attempt that! ! Holy crapballs thats a lot of work. Can you post a pic of the finished inlay? Did you cut out the letters in wood on the cricket?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That is amazing, Brad. If anything, it totally discouraged me from ever wanting to attempt that! ! Holy crapballs thats a lot of work. Can you post a pic of the finished inlay? Did you cut out the letters in wood on the cricket?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I cut out the letters using the scroll saw but I used the opposite of the vinyl that I cut out using the cricut. Here is a picture. a6c8ba900bf7db9686df2e2766f87bca.jpg6d375f834e26590f8673a71155c5052d.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice! I did some double bevel inlay on a project last summer, lets just say it took a few tries but every time I open my tool chest it reminds me it was worth the effort. Thanks for sharing!

Double bevel is my favorite. Here are some coasters I made a couple years back and a box. The box was one of my first times trying it. eba74527e2edaa33fe87cacdc263557d.jpgI never took a finished picture of the box. One of those last minute Christmas gifts. C8392B21-1796-4D94-A86A-E7A2F6A04A7D.JPG

• Like 2

Gotta love inlay.  The art of not blowing your brains out.  I have some in my near future.  I only look forward to the result, not the process.  So tedious.

Yeah it can be a real PITA but the end result always has me coming back.

Brad,

Awesome work...out of my league..! Have you ever considered elevating the worktable that you're working on? It looks like you work in very awkward postures for prolonged periods of time? You may be young enough to get away with it now but it will bite you later on!

Brad,

Awesome work...out of my league..! Have you ever considered elevating the worktable that you're working on? It looks like you work in very awkward postures for prolonged periods of time? You may be young enough to get away with it now but it will bite you later on!

Well this one was a little awkward because it is actually in the side of a table. Usually I sit in a chair. 853803694df5948bbc106ebf69530b53.jpg

Brad, do you find that a small cutter in a full-size router is easier to control than a palm router, or a 'dremel'?

To be honest, I have never used anything else. I like the weight of a full sized router though. The main reason I use that router though is because it has lights under it. I truly hate that router but it is the only one I can find that has lights underneath it.

I've tried fine routing with both large and small machines, and for me, the heavier motor seems much better. It seems much less likely to move on its own, like the inertia of the motor and friction of the base are greater than torque on the bit.

I have always been a little worried about hitting knots with a little one because even a big router it can pull it some times.

I have the Dewalt 611. I prefer it to the Bosch trim routers, but I haven't used a Bosch with lights .

I have put literally hundreds of hours on the Dewalt. I like the height adjustment.  It fits my hand, variable speed is good, line of sight to the bit is good and it has survived being dropped several times ( onto a mat from bench height). Plenty of power for it's size and if you lower the speed just until the power is sufficient for the bit to cut well it really lowers the noise level. 

I have the Dewalt 611. I prefer it to the Bosch trim routers, but I haven't used a Bosch with lights .

I have put literally hundreds of hours on the Dewalt. I like the height adjustment.  It fits my hand, variable speed is good, line of sight to the bit is good and it has survived being dropped several times ( onto a mat from bench height). Plenty of power for it's size and if you lower the speed just until the power is sufficient for the bit to cut well it really lowers the noise level. 

Thanks Steve. It will probably be my next one then.