PSA for nostalgic hand tool woodworkers

Eric.

During our recent trip to Colonial Williamsburg we learned a lot about apprenticeships in the 18th century.  Williamsburg still uses, with some modifications, a trade apprenticeship program much like it was originally practiced in the colony.  Giving up 8-12 years of your life to learn a trade while making nothing (except room and board) or very little, then striking out as a journeyman with hopes of finding a town where you could make a living plying your trade.  Daunting.  Still, I think we have made a huge mistake in trying to direct nearly all kids to college, with the attendant debt load, and then have them working at Starbucks.  We should put more emphasis on vocational/trade schools and apprenticeships (21st century versions).  We'll always need plumbers, electricians, welders, carpenters, mechanics, etc.  But, that's just me.

• Like 2

I have a group of friends from high school.  The four of us all are still close   

I went to college and became a CPA

Two of my friends are union electricians and the other is a cop.  They all earn a middle class wage.  

There are plenty of jobs/opportunities for people who don't want to go to college.  I don't understand where this idea that we push all kids into college comes from.  It is not my experience at all.  

Yes, the trade unions do manage their numbers in order to keep wages up.  If we have more plumbers than toilets then a plumber's wage goes down.   So I do object to the idea that we "need" more of any particular job.  

On 7/16/2017 at 8:50 AM, trialbyfire said:

I work for a general contractor in Texas on the project management side of things. And I can tell you for a fact, general contractors need more people that can drive a nail, set a form, hang a door, etc. At this point we would even love to have someone that is just willing to show up and work with out complaining.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In my geographic area, most of the trades are dominated by the unions (at least for commercial work), and they do an excellent job training people.  Like I said, they do manage their numbers in order to keep wages up (which is good or bad, depending on your point of view), but most journeyman plumbers/pipefitters/electricians/carpenters/ironworkers know what they are doing.  Most. 

Outside of construction, it is usually the employer's responsibility to train their people.    

In construction it seems it is someone else's responsiblity to train people.  In most industries, if you can't find good people, either you aren't paying enough, or you aren't training them properly.

Also keep in mind, the economy is at a peak right now.  Don't worry, in a few years there will be plenty of people looking for work. 

On 7/12/2017 at 5:58 PM, Mike. said:

I have a group of friends from high school.  The four of us all are still close   

I went to college and became a CPA

Two of my friends are union electricians and the other is a cop.  They all earn a middle class wage.  

There are plenty of jobs/opportunities for people who don't want to go to college.  I don't understand where this idea that we push all kids into college comes from.  It is not my experience at all.  

Yes, the trade unions do manage their numbers in order to keep wages up.  If we have more plumbers than toilets then a plumber's wage goes down.   So I do object to the idea that we "need" more of any particular job.  

My wife is a hairdresser and was keeping pace with my income at a fortune 500 company until i hit the senior manager level. Even then, we arent THAT far off--maybe a 15-20% difference? $100k of debt, 5 years working without income, and i assure you my day to day sucks way more than hers. Certainly caused me to pause and think a few times...

I, like Eric, cannot fathom why people choose to mill lumber by hand. Just last week i had a 22 year old in my place telling me how much he loves the thrill of milling by hand. I told him i love the thrill of firing up Mr. Powermatic and cramming boards through as fast as i can. Different strokes...

On 12/07/2017 at 4:58 PM, Mike. said:

John Deere was paying for people to become welders and hiring them starting at $100k a few years ago because there was such a shortage. I may take up a trade when I retire, learning a new skill sounds fun.