furniture design competition / awards

Gee thanks Ross.  I went to a juried craft show last year.  It wasn't a competition, the jury was only to see if the work  you were bringing was of a certain quality.  The quality was there, but the buying public wasn't there.  Very little was sold through out the whole show, it was a flop from the get go.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'm at a level yet where I'd be comfortable with that kind of scrutiny.  If I see problems, judges will see problems.  Execution needs to be flawless from joinery to finish, and design and proportion are critical.  Obviously this will depend on the level of competition you're entering...but I wouldn't want to enter one unless I had a perfect piece that I thought could win (I haven't built one of those yet).  Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.  There are some mind-blowing pieces being built out there.

I've considered sending a few pieces to FWW and trying to get them in the Gallery.  I haven't done that for the sole reason that I never have good enough pictures.

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

I'm not sure I'm at a level yet where I'd be comfortable with that kind of scrutiny.

Couldn't have said it better. 

In my case, clients are asking for a piece based on the work they've seen.  Judges are scrutinizing at a whole different level.  When it comes right down to it, I am building what I hope will become valued 'family members' and not for ribbons or awards.  Maybe my approach is in error but, I seem to stay busy enough. :)

Well, I was placed first in two competitions last year ...

PopWoodTheChair_html_m4e7febc2.png

PopWoodTheChair_html_b8baf47.png

WeavingSeatCompletingTheChair_html_m4441

And the other was in Australia (where I live) ..

WAWoodShow16_html_m57f9b18a.png

WAWoodShow16_html_78b23107.png

For this ...

TopOfTheWorldToYou_html_m11845893.jpg

TopOfTheWorldToYou_html_433ba9b2.jpg

I have the following entered in the 2017 competition in a month:  "sofa table with a hidden drawer"

SofaTableAllTheWayToCompletion_html_5056

Hard Maple legs and apron with Sheoak top. If you look carefully, you will note that the apron is bowed to  match the top. The face of the legs are curved as well. ...

SofaTableAllTheWayToCompletion_html_m56e

The hidden drawer runs the full length of the table ..

SofaTableAllTheWayToCompletion_html_64dd

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

Derek, that is some beautiful work.

Competition does not suit me.  I never liked compeition and am allergic to feedback.  But, I am a pretty strong critic of my own work.  I only build furniture to make myself happy.  I find external validation, particularly from strangers, really annoying.  Either people praise things I don't find praise worthy, or they point out the obvious flaws.  If I need feedback I will seek it from trusted friends or associates. I have found this to be true in all matters of my life.  I don't like compliments and I hate constructive criticism.  Every company I have ever worked for has a mentorship program that I avoided like the plague. In short, I'd rather talk about the weather.   

34 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Derek, is the lingerie chest an original design or a repro?

Hi Eric

That is an original design. The only piece I have ever copied, and deliberately, was the Wegner chair, and that was to test my ability to work accurately ...

My copy on the left, the original on the right ..

WeavingSeatCompletingTheChair_html_m1a3c

The build for the linegrie chest is on my website. It also has all the design decision. Scroll down this page ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

The chest was my concept of a modern, contemporary bombe chest. It has curved sides and bow fronts. The dovetailed drawers were a real challenge as all the dovetails were compound curves ..

TopOfTheWorldToYou_html_m233f38e0.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Competition does not suit me.  I never liked compeition and am allergic to feedback.  But, I am a pretty strong critic of my own work.  I only build furniture to make myself happy.  I find external validation, particularly from strangers, really annoying.  Either people praise things I don't find praise worthy, or they point out the obvious flaws.  If I need feedback I will seek it from trusted friends or associates. I have found this to be true in all matters of my life.  I don't like compliments and I hate constructive criticism.  Every company I have ever worked for has a mentorship program that I avoided like the plague. In short, I'd rather talk about the weather.   

Mike, I enter for the comaraderie of contestants. Mostly I get my butt kicked. I am just a weekend warrior, and there are many guys out there that are really good. I really do not mind being scrutinised - we are all human and no one is perfect. I think that it is important to push oneself, and so I am willing .. look forward ... to taking these risks. I build furniture with build alongs on forums and the articles are posted on my website, warts and all. I have screwed up many a time - and learned how to repair and disguise the damage. 

The furniture builds are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

41 minutes ago, derekcohen said:

That is an original design. The only piece I have ever copied, and deliberately, was the Wegner chair, and that was to test my ability to work accurately ...

My copy on the left, the original on the right ..

WeavingSeatCompletingTheChair_html_m1a3c

The figure in those legs is stunning. Excellent selection. Your build journal is great to follow.

I already gave you some fair praise a few days ago, Derek. I'd not seen the Chest with the finish applied, I like the darker finish. The Jarrah you work with is stunning but the darker stain helps dampen the vibrant grain and accentuates the design, which in this case, I feel is a good thing.

On competitions, I would encourage people to enter them. Take Eric for instance, his work would be very comfortable there. It's always good to see and take inspiration from those putting in the hours on their weekends and evenings.  

I know this is a discussion that has already taken place, but after visiting your web site all I can say is that there are woodworkers and then there are artists. Your work is wonderful and IMO you are more than a woodworker. You are a truss artist. 

Regards

On 7/13/2017 at 8:05 AM, Mike. said:

I did a BFA in design so I kind of miss the scrutiny and very in depth feedback process that we all did in school. It's hard to find people who are willing to put in the time to actually look at the work and give their opinion. Majority of internet feedback tends to be 'awesome' 'love it' ect which is what had me thinking competitions would be a good way to seek feedback, as well as deadlines to finish projects which are always nice!

On 7/13/2017 at 8:54 AM, derekcohen said:

Mike, I enter for the comaraderie of contestants. Mostly I get my butt kicked. I am just a weekend warrior, and there are many guys out there that are really good. I really do not mind being scrutinised - we are all human and no one is perfect. I think that it is important to push oneself, and so I am willing .. look forward ... to taking these risks. I build furniture with build alongs on forums and the articles are posted on my website, warts and all. I have screwed up many a time - and learned how to repair and disguise the damage. 

The furniture builds are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Do you have any thoughts on how to find or how you found competitions to be apart of? I never really see them other than youtube 2x4 challenges ect 

• Like 1