Bowed wood and panel glue ups

Got some walnut milled up for another desk and noticed that one of the planks (the widest of them) has a lovely little bow in it (about halfway down the plank through to the end). Not horrible but enough that it made me cringe a bit. Normally I'd plane it out and mill the other boards to match but I fear that might make the top too thin (I've got it at 1" thick now). 

My question is, where that's the only one and the bow isn't bad, can I get away with using biscuits to help with alignment and just force it flat like the rest of the planks or am I asking for trouble there? I can press it flat on my own with very little effort but I don't want to run into problems down the line, either. 

My gut tells me I should just go buy another board but I REALLY don't want to have to do that right now. I await the comments/answers telling me to listen to my gut. :P

I'm afraid hat your gut is speaking the truth.  A small bow can be corrected with biscuits or dowels if the board is between two others. The problem lies down the road. There's no telling what it'll do in a month, or year.  I'd go with your gut and be safe, not sorry.

• Like 1

There are 5 boards total. The widest one (about 10") is going in the middle, the rest (about 6.5") go on either side. The widest one is the one that's developed the bow. The panel will be fastened down to 2 cantilever legs that span most of the distance of the panel underneath.

It will probably introduce some twist into the entire panel but since you'll be securing it to the aprons it probably won't matter. Hard to know what "a little bow" means though since that definition will vary from person to person.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest Randy

Don't know if biscuits will hold it until the glue sets up. If you're going to try it, I'd consider dowels instead. Dominos would be best but not everyone has a Domino. I think  1/4" is a lot to force a 1" thick board into alignment.

I'd consider a new board if this is something which you will put a lot of work into. Another possibility would be to rip this board in half and then, when gluing up it would be a bit more flexible to keep in place.

Also, I'd agree that, if the top will be held in place by structure underneath at various places (especially in the center), then I wouldn't worry too much about what will happen over time once the desk is assembled and glued (and/or screwed to the top).

1 hour ago, Chris208 said:

Cory,

I think it will be fine, but getting a new board would be safest.

Is there structure to secure the panel to near the middle of the bow?

Yeah, there is. One of the cantilever legs will go right through there if I continue as is.

Also, I looked at it again last night and the bow isn't as bad as I thought--only about 1/8" off variance at the center. I'll mess w/ it a bit tonight and see how comfortable I am just going with it, even though in the end I may just end up listening to my gut and relegate this board to making small boxes and cutting boards.

I'm on a time crunch with this desk and haven't been able to make it to the lumber yard due to being busy at work. I am hearing myself from another thread on here where I told someone that rushing through a project rarely ends well so maybe I just need to come in to work early one day so I've got time to swing by the lumber yard and tell my friend that it'll be another week.