Kerfmaker tool

I watched the video.  I'm getting one because I was impressed, and it doesn't cost more (at 73 bucks) than it would take time to make one, but not for setting a dado stack with.  It looks great for cutting joints where you don't want to bother to swap the saw blade.  

For dadoes,  I measure the piece going in the dado with calipers, and set the stack by the chart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I watched the video.  I'm getting one because I was impressed, and it doesn't cost more (at 73 bucks) than it would take time to make one, but not for setting a dado stack with.  It looks great for cutting joints where you don't want to bother to swap the saw blade.  

For dadoes,  I measure the piece going in the dado with calipers, and set the stack by the chart.

I tried this, and my dadoes end up a smidge too wide. I have to measure the piece going in the dado, and set up the stack like .020" less than the caliper says. Its a pain.

Is it consistently that exact amount off?  I use magnetic shims for fine tuning a measurement that doesn't work out exactly to the charts, but never remember one not working out.   .020 is a lot.  There are a number of things that could have an effect, like table saw alignment, but that is big difference.  The old matchbook cover "feeler gauge" is .015, so a third again thicker than that, I can't understand. 

Im sure alignment is the problem, now that you mention it. You know that Ridgid table saw that is notorious for the blade loosing alignment when changing the height? Thats what I have, only it says Craftsman on it. I have figured out how to "mostly" overcome that, but due to the table mounted trunnions, I just cant get it perfectly aligned to the miter slot. Im around .007" off. It took more fussing than I feel like doing to get it to that point. So yes, blade alignment is undoubtedly the problem. It just hadnt occured to me.

10 hours ago, Dylder said:

I have the Microjig Matchfit ... its the plastic, less expensive version.  Works well when I tested if, but I have yet to use it on a project

I ordered one of those too, but it looks more like a multi-step adjustable stop block, whereas the kerfmaker is a setting tool for a stop block.

20 hours ago, Tom King said:

now is it worth the extra money for the 95* tenon version

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tm-1-tenonmaker-297.html

although this post describes how you can use the kerfmaker to make tenons 

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1493

My 35 pound tenoning jig is too heavy for me to feel comfortable using the BCTW tenoning jig setting helper.  It probably does save running a couple of test pieces with lighter weight tenoning jigs, like the one in the video, but I'm pretty sure I could damage it too easily with the big chunk of cast iron, so not worth the risk for me to save a minute, now and then.

3 hours ago, Tom King said:

My 35 pound tenoning jig is too heavy for me to feel comfortable using the BCTW tenoning jig setting helper.  It probably does save running a couple of test pieces with lighter weight tenoning jigs, like the one in the video, but I'm pretty sure I could damage it too easily with the big chunk of cast iron, so not worth the risk for me to save a minute, now and then.

not sure if the guy at BCTW was just trying to sell me on two tools but when i asked about the tenonmaker being able to do the same thing as the kern maker 

"Not necessarily. Same look, but different uses. People end up getting both tools because they both serve different needs. Kind of like cousins—related, but not the same thing."

14 minutes ago, treesner said:

not sure if the guy at BCTW was just trying to sell me on two tools but when i asked about the tenonmaker being able to do the same thing as the kern maker 

"Not necessarily. Same look, but different uses. People end up getting both tools because they both serve different needs. Kind of like cousins—related, but not the same thing."

I looked at that also, and it looks like the tenonmaker was intentionally designed to prevent you from using it as the kerfmaker... There are large radii where you would fit the kerf. Kind of shitty and no other reason to do this than to sell you 2 tools instead of 1.

2 minutes ago, Cygnus A said:

I looked at that also, and it looks like the tenonmaker was intentionally designed to prevent you from using it as the kerfmaker... There are large radii where you would fit the kerf. Kind of shitty and no other reason to do this than to sell you 2 tools instead of 1.

yeah that's pretty lame. I'm glad I asked because i almost ordered the tenonmaker with thoughts i might use it someday for the tenon feature