Hauling rough lumber in a SUV

Dhankx

So this month I'm buying the final tools so that i can mill rough lumber myself.  My final prep is to figure out how I'm going to haul it. Prior I would just have the milled lumber cut so that it fits into my SUV.  The sticks will be between 8 - 12 feet long depending on the wood type.  I  found this and wondered if anyone has experience with something like this or recommends something else.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TriCam-350-lb-Capacity-Load-Extender-SLE-1/204317805?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=s4HZ2Sjq4|dt_mtid_0tm59h1qf0_pcrid_99259616675_pkw__pmt__product_204317805_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJrxs5TE1QIVRVcNCh0FXAG6EAQYASABEgKyqvD_BwE

My intent is to extend it length wise so that the lumber is mostly inside the SUV, with the hatch open .  Inside max depth is ~ 6 1/2ft.  Distance to the hitch is 7 1/2ft  and with this I'm guessing the outside brace point would be around 11 1/2 feet.  I could alternatively mount it on my roof rack, but I am more leery of that.  If it's inside I can see if there's slippage as I'm driving if it's up top I can't.   Thoughts? I've never hauled anything like this with something sticking out of my vehicle.

I done something simalar with Toyota truck and its small window.

But it's not a good practice , if you have to stop hard or hit something you will not be able to stop your load from going forward.

Its real easy to haul more then you should.Rough sawn wood that's a bit wet add up fast.

You don't want to be like these guys.:lol:

image.jpeg

• Like 1

What are you building that needs 12' long boards?  For the most part if you had 8' boards out the back of your SUV no support would be needed.  The options I would prefer are 1) delivery if available 2) rent a trailer or truck 3) buy a trailer 4) use your SUV to do 8' lengths.

Just now, Woodenskye said:

What are you building that needs 12' long boards?  For the most part if you had 8' boards out the back of your SUV no support would be needed.  The options I would prefer are 1) delivery if available 2) rent a trailer or truck 3) buy a trailer 4) use your SUV to do 8' lengths.

Nothing actually, it's just the length of some of the sticks that they sell.  I think the cedar are 12ft and the oak is 10ft.  Let's say they cut it to 8 ft, how would I secure it inside? I was kind of assuming this tool would be of primary importance to keep it from sliding in and out regardless (unless of course I have them cut small enough it can fit inside completely).

I've pondered a trailer, but the ones I looked at all have a gate on the end and even if it was a 10 ft trailer I'd still have something sticking out the back. ...not to mention that's another ~1200 bucks for this "hobby" of mine

I just cover the console with some old towles I keep in the back, and then run the wood up the middle. In my Murano I can just about fit an 8 footer. Imo, anything longer than a 10 footer is difficult to deal with unless you have a large shop.

if you need to pick up a lot of wood, and it's not super far away go to Home Depot, or one of the other big boxes, and rent their truck for $20. If you need to pick up a crap ton of lumber, consider renting a small uhaul. They can be had for $20 a day plus like $0.60 a mile.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dhankx said:

Nothing actually, it's just the length of some of the sticks that they sell.  I think the cedar are 12ft and the oak is 10ft.  Let's say they cut it to 8 ft, how would I secure it inside? I was kind of assuming this tool would be of primary importance to keep it from sliding in and out regardless (unless of course I have them cut small enough it can fit inside completely).

I've pondered a trailer, but the ones I looked at all have a gate on the end and even if it was a 10 ft trailer I'd still have something sticking out the back. ...not to mention that's another ~1200 bucks for this "hobby" of mine

In my old car MB ML350, I could fit an 8' long board and have the rear tailgate door closed, of course that meant laying the front seats down.  I had to buy some cedar boards that were 12' long and bought a cordless circular saw to rough cut prior to loading. Another way was to ratchet strap the boards together, close the tailgate as much as possible and then secure to the tow hooks under the car.

Renting a trailer from Uhaul isn't that expensive if you buy enough wood.  They have different types and lengths.  I would go with this method, however new SUV doesn't have hitch and since it is a lease not going to install.  Renting a vehicle from Home Depot or Uhaul is also a good lower cost option.  HF has cheap trailers that I'm sure would work and not break the bank.

Over the course of 8 months I carried the boards to rebuild our fence, about 30 sections worth. I looked for a photo of the wood in the car but I couldn't find one, I could only find one of the fence. I owe a Kia Soul but I was able to fix 8 foot sections in the car, luckily I don't live far from the lumber yard. As some else said it's easy to overload your vehicle and if you have an accident the load will go through the windshield. I used a couple of tarps to protect seats but I still got splinters in the upholstery. I agree with finding a cheap trailer. Use common sense and you'll be ok. 

20140519_093528.thumb.jpg.00076449b503ae7287c19f52b5ed9327.jpg

• Like 1

I typically won't buy more than 8' long boards, and most of the time, I am picking them up in my Kia Soul.  I push the boards between the two front seats, and usually have about a foot hanging out the back, and then tie down the hatch.  My supplier always has twine on site.

• Like 1

Harbor Freight is also a good source for cheap moving blankets to protect your car's interior. As long as the weight isn't too much, hanging out the back is OK, just tie it down VERY securely, and put a flag on it to warn other cars approaching from the rear.

It can NOT be tied down TOO securely. More is better. You do not want the load to shift in any direction.

• Like 1

What SUV do you have? Some of them have front seats that fold down so you should be able to fit longer boards in it. Hope you have a big shop if you're going to work on boards that long.

Lots of SUVs have tie down spots in the trunk, if not you might have to get a little creative.

33 minutes ago, mikem said:

I typically won't buy more than 8' long boards, and most of the time, I am picking them up in my Kia Soul.  I push the boards between the two front seats, and usually have about a foot hanging out the back, and then tie down the hatch.  My supplier always has twine on site.

If you lower the seats and put them on the dash you can fit them in the back of the Soul with the trunk closed. Be sure to put a tarp on the dash. 

5 minutes ago, legenddc said:

What SUV do you have? Some of them have front seats that fold down so you should be able to fit longer boards in it. Hope you have a big shop if you're going to work on boards that long.

Lots of SUVs have tie down spots in the trunk, if not you might have to get a little creative.

2015 explorer, yea I can get up to 8 feet in there with it almost touching the dash.  I was hoping that with this device i could pin them behind the driver's seat so that sudden braking wouldn't stand the risk of wood flying out my windshield or through my console :)  It sounds like the consensus though no one really uses these and recommends I rent a trailer.  I don't have the three tools on site yet, but yea working with long boards does seem daunting.  I guess I could have them cut them to shorter lengths and solve the whole problem.

12 minutes ago, Dhankx said:

2015 explorer, yea I can get up to 8 feet in there with it almost touching the dash.  I was hoping that with this device i could pin them behind the driver's seat so that sudden braking wouldn't stand the risk of wood flying out my windshield or through my console

Just hope someone doesnt run into you from behind.  :o

57 minutes ago, Dhankx said:

2015 explorer, yea I can get up to 8 feet in there with it almost touching the dash.  I was hoping that with this device i could pin them behind the driver's seat so that sudden braking wouldn't stand the risk of wood flying out my windshield or through my console :)  It sounds like the consensus though no one really uses these and recommends I rent a trailer.  I don't have the three tools on site yet, but yea working with long boards does seem daunting.  I guess I could have them cut them to shorter lengths and solve the whole problem.

I just listened to a Woodtalk show where the talked about cutting boards down at the lumber yard to fit in your car either with a hand saw or a cordless jigsaw.

3 hours ago, Klappco said:

c9e666730d4c2fbea93a648facf1938f.jpg

This is how I do it. I keep wanting a truck but this car is paid for.

Oh wow.....in the right impact those boards would take your head clean off. Have you considered strapping the boards to your roof?!

Secure the boards together with ratchet straps to make one secure unit. Pad your roof with a couple small folded moving blankets, with your doors open use two ratchet straps to secure the load to the roof through the inside of the car. If you are worried about caving in the roof, consider cutting two boards that will span the black trim where a roof rack would mount. The doors should still close without issue. Be sure to secure the front and back of the boards under the front and rear bumpers.

this will work for the OP too, securing the boards together first is the most critical step though.   

• Like 1