Japanese influenced design

I have been asked to make a display rack for martial arts rank belts. A two-piece design, it consists of a primary wall rack for the black belt, and a hanging box with dividers, into which the rolled-up lower rank belts are inserted.

The black belt display has a very "temple roof" curve on the upper cross piece. I am including some mildly-asian details on the lower box, pinned finger joints, a curve that mirrors the top, etc...

The back of the box extends below the bottom, forming a decorative apron against the wall.

I want to add a couple of pegs or hooks to this apron, for hanging whatever. In keeping the japanese influence, I've been researching hook designs, but the most 'traditional' images I've seen are simple dowels.

Any suggestions for the pegs/hooks?

There may or may not be a frame included, for the black belt award certificate. If included, I plan to steal major design cues from the g&g mirror frame guild project.

If you don't want to go traditional, and you can turn, why not try turning pegs with "swelled" ends that match the roof line. Kind of like Shaker pegs, but instead of smooth lines, a more concave look.  From the side, the peg tip would look a little like the "temple roof."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice video! The display I am making is for my nephew, also. He is 16, and just received his 1st degree black belt, after 9 years of training. I have to admire any kid that works that long toward a difficult goal.

Especially the young'un's nowadays.

• Like 1