Designing my drum sander cabinet

Kind of a dumb question tonight, but I can't decide what size to make this dang thing.

I have the Supermax 16-32 on pre-order.  I don't intend on using the steel stand and want to have a cabinet built for when the sander gets here.  I'm going to put drawers in, but don't have it nailed down what will go in the drawers so drawer size doesn't matter.  I clearly don't want it to be tippy during movement or use, but I also want it to take up as little space as possible.  I'm also not sure if a cabinet would interfere with the fold down infeed and outfeed tables should I add them later.

I emailed Supermax looking for suggestions and they only responded back with the dimensions of the top of the steel stand...10 3/4" x 27".  Not all that useful, clearly I am not going to build the cabinet to be 11" deep.  The steel stand has a footprint of 34" x 22", which seems larger than necessary.

Anyone with the 19-38 have any insight?  I assume the machines will be very similarly built.

You are free to make the cabinet as large as the footprint of the sander which is plenty large to avoid tippy-ness.  I made my 19-38 base smaller than the sander and it is still about 28 x 34.  The motor still hangs off the back of the 34" dimension and the tables overshoot the 28" width a bit as well.  I have shown it here but, since I never had an actual thread about it, here it is again.

19-38-stand(22).jpg.9abb7f8773bb2357f6333366fdd6cb70.jpg19-38-stand(26).jpg.fffbf96a8f54bf56e866f9eb272e8712.jpg573fa1eb25b6d_Supermax19-38(15).jpg.3a14afd6836b71c128f773652b0a767f.jpg573fa1ec31b0a_Supermax19-38(16).jpg.3104cd71927fe3dc487b2c70f468e02f.jpg19-38-stand(12).jpg.48cff2ff8a0fd176fe7ab2592c7fff2a.jpg

• Like 2

I missed this photo before, but this makes it look like any cabinet deeper than the 11" stand top will completely restrict the folding tables.  If that's the case, then I'll just make it 22" deep and forget about the folding table capability if I ever add them.  So maybe I'll go 30-34" wide and 22" deep.

16-32-infeed-outfeed-tables-B-small-file-684x1024[1].jpg

Frank Kev @TIODS built a really nice cabinet for his 19-38.  I don't have a drum sander, but I don't think I would ever want to drop the tables.  I guess if you needed to tuck away when not using would ultimately make the decision on dimensions.  As for the drawers, I would load with all my extra sanding materials and other items that need a home. 

This is the way I would think about the infeed and outfeed tables.  If you get them its because you want to use them and once you have them I can't think of a situation were you would want to fold them down.  I have them on my 19-38, they don't fold down like your's would, but I can't really think of a reason I would want them to fold down.  The only thing is you had to fit the machine in a small area when not in use and the picture doesn't make me think you will real gain that much in reduced size.

15 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

What's a good working height? 

I think you need to make the height fit you.  Find something that is a good height so when you put your hands on it your not bent over. Then you need to figure the height of the sander base to its bed and also figure how tall the wheels will be picking up the cabinet you build.  A bit of math and you will no the cabinet build height.

3 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

What's a good working height? 

I made mine (similar to a lot of other things in my shop) so that long stock could feed out onto other surfaces.   If I didn't have other surfaces to think about I would go for a comfortable height while feeding since you can stand at the machine for a period of time.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

I ultimately completely copied Kev's design,

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Blue, it's a good thing Kev didn't have it patented cause both of us would be in a fix! Good looking man!

Mine is a copy also. 

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Awesome.  You are gonna love having the additional storage.  My 19-38 cabinet ended up being my primary abrasives and abrasive accessories location.  This got nearly everything to do with sanding centralized.

Mine is very much the same..  I did use the top drawer to inlay my dado stack in which I really like.

2 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I ultimately completely copied Kev's design, just smaller and not as well built, lol.  If it was house furniture it wouldn't do, but it's very functional for shop furniture.  

The sander needs calibrated and then I'm ready to start learning to use it.  

Nice job, turned out great!

1 hour ago, bushwacked said:

needs more walnut ;) 

good looking functional piece there ... have fun with the calibration. How long does that normally take?

It was going to have cherry drawer fronts until I said screw it and took the easy way out.  

I don't think the calibration will take long at all, I need to search here for the best method though.  The method in the instructions seemed imprecise to me..but "looked" to be dead on.  I think others here say to use mdf covered in pencil that is the width of the drum...or something.  

I spent about 30 minutes calibrating mine. Pencil marks on a 32" wide scrap of MDF and a pair of digital calipers. It was real easy but I was shooting for perfection. All the adjustments are right there on the side of the conveyor. I think it took a Allen wrench & a open end wrench.

I used two thin scraps of hardwood, ran one on one side and the other on the other side, measured with calipers and adjusted as needed until they both took the same reading.  Locked it down...haven't touched it since.  It's a good machine and seems to hold its settings.

Make sure when you do your calibrations you have that little "wide panel lever" (whatever it's called) in the correct position (can never remember if it's down or up).  You'll use the lever when sanding panels wider than the head.  When you flip it it will raise the outboard side of the head by a few thou so you don't get any ridges in the field of the panel.  So for calibration you need to make sure it's in the correct position otherwise that feature won't work...obviously.