Poll: Where do you buy your power tools (hand held, stationary or mobile)

SD_Andy

How do you buy your power tools (hand held, mobile or stationary)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you typically buy your power tools (hand held, mobile or stationary)?

• Craigslist
    • Online retailer
    • Local big box store
    • Local woodworking/tool store
    • Other, leave details in the thread

Most of mine have been online due to price/availability/ and delivery to my house. I have most of my big power tools although I did by a Sawstop earlier this year (HWW.) Most of my tool budget recently (last few years) has been going to handtools, Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, Bad Axe etc. and they are all pretty much online. I also work from home so getting things delivered is much preferred to me having to drive an hour each way to get something.

When it comes to my tools, I am NOT dedicated to any one brand or retailer. I shop for the tool that's best for me and then shop for best price. Most tool manufacturers control the pricing so there usually isn't much difference from store to store whether online or local. You should beware that a lot of brands (not just tools) are starting to go direct with their own online stores. If you're an "online only" store do you want to compete with the manufacturer? I owned a retail store for seven years and can't say I'd want to do it again but I wish you good luck.

• Like 1

The poll is a bit vague for establishing good data for a business model.  Power Tools such as ROS sanders, Cordless drills, routers, jigsaws, etc. are all bought where the best deal overall can be had.  This is generally an online dealer but, could be a BORG if the tool is carried and some sort of super Memorial Day sale is going on.

Power Tools such as Tablesaw, Bandsaw, Sanders, Drill Press, etc. would again be bought where the best deal overall can be had.  This is generally an online dealer but, I bought my Saw Stop at Rockler because they were close and the prices/offers are controlled.  I bought my Drill Press at Lowe's back when Delta was still a name to be trusted and Powermatic couldn't get the bugs out of their PM1800.  I bought my bandsaws used, my large sanders from the makers.

As you can see, if you qualify the type pf purchases you are asking about a bit more, the data will be more valuable.

Same as Mike, exactly.  I always try to buy from Amazon if possible but I'll go elsewhere for a better price.

I buy finish and need-right-now items at Rockler or Woodcraft but they usually only get my business when I'm in a pinch...because they're almost always more expensive than online.

I have an "online business," and the only bit of advice I have to give you is: if you're not planning to sell on Amazon...good luck to ya.  They rule the earth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

I answered CL, but I was thinking large tools.  For portable power tools, I buy online, and more than anywhere else, CPO.

Thank you Tom, I appreciate the answer and the clarification.   So do you not buy big tools new?  If you did would you still be inclined to buy them online?

2 hours ago, Cygnus A said:

Online where possible. It is usually cheaper than buying local. Sometimes steals can be had on Craigslist, but I usually sell there, not buy.

Just out of curiosity, when is it not possible to buy online?

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Most of mine have been online due to price/availability/ and delivery to my house. I have most of my big power tools although I did by a Sawstop earlier this year (HWW.) Most of my tool budget recently (last few years) has been going to handtools, Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, Bad Axe etc. and they are all pretty much online. I also work from home so getting things delivered is much preferred to me having to drive an hour each way to get something.

Did you buy your big power tools online?  The question was really about any power tools, hand held, portable or stationary.

2 hours ago, LazarusDB said:

When it comes to my tools, I am NOT dedicated to any one brand or retailer. I shop for the tool that's best for me and then shop for best price. Most tool manufacturers control the pricing so there usually isn't much difference from store to store whether online or local. You should beware that a lot of brands (not just tools) are starting to go direct with their own online stores. If you're an "online only" store do you want to compete with the manufacturer? I owned a retail store for seven years and can't say I'd want to do it again but I wish you good luck.

Thank you Lazarus.   My next poll was going to be about how you pick your tools but since you already broached the subject, how do you pick the best tool for you?  Thank you for the comment about manufactures going direct, it really doesn't effect my thought but I appreciate the consideration nonetheless.    Retail is definitely not for me.  Online is the only way to go for what I am trying to accomplish.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Amazon, CPO, Acme Tools.  I buy exclusively on line.  Even though there are some local B&M retailers I could buy from, it is not worth my time/effort to go there. 

Thanks Mike

20 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

The poll is a bit vague for establishing good data for a business model.  Power Tools such as ROS sanders, Cordless drills, routers, jigsaws, etc. are all bought where the best deal overall can be had.  This is generally an online dealer but, could be a BORG if the tool is carried and some sort of super Memorial Day sale is going on.

Power Tools such as Tablesaw, Bandsaw, Sanders, Drill Press, etc. would again be bought where the best deal overall can be had.  This is generally an online dealer but, I bought my Saw Stop at Rockler because they were close and the prices/offers are controlled.  I bought my Drill Press at Lowe's back when Delta was still a name to be trusted and Powermatic couldn't get the bugs out of their PM1800.  I bought my bandsaws used, my large sanders from the makers.

As you can see, if you qualify the type pf purchases you are asking about a bit more, the data will be more valuable.

Thanks gee-dub.  I clarified the question, hopefully I clarified enough.  The poll was intended to be any power tool, meaning hand held, mobile or stationary.   Sorry for the ignorance but what is BORG?    So is your primary focus the best deal or is it the best deal on the tool that you have already selected?

Incidentally, I had a PM1800 and the quill became loose and couldn't be repaired, long story.  Powermatic ended up replacing it free of charge for a new PM2800B.   Such a huge improvement.

23 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Same as Mike, exactly.  I always try to buy from Amazon if possible but I'll go elsewhere for a better price.

I buy finish and need-right-now items at Rockler or Woodcraft but they usually only get my business when I'm in a pinch...because they're almost always more expensive than online.

I have an "online business," and the only bit of advice I have to give you is: if you're not planning to sell on Amazon...good luck to ya.  They rule the earth.

Thanks Eric, I also use Amazon wherever possible and no I do not intend to sell on Amazon.  I avoid Rockler and Woodcraft whenever possible unless they have a sale on something I want.

Are you will to share, either publicly or privately, what your online business is?

1 hour ago, SD_Andy said:

Did you buy your big power tools online?  The question was really about any power tools, hand held, portable or stationary.

Yes pretty much everything in my shop came from online I live outside of Zimmerman so getting to tool stores is just not convenient for me. I think the only big power tool I bought locally was my old table saw a PM66 I bought from ACME in Plymouth and perhaps my drill press but that's like 25 years old and I can't remember where it came from might have been 7 corners. 

As I said I work from home so I purchase 95% of everything I buy online, Amazon prime and I are good friends :) 

1 hour ago, SD_Andy said:

Thank you Tom, I appreciate the answer and the clarification.   So do you not buy big tools new?  If you did would you still be inclined to buy them online?

Just out of curiosity, when is it not possible to buy online?

The only tools I've bought new in years, I needed in a pinch, and went to pick them up at Woodworkers Supply, simply because they were closest, I like their store brand,and those rare times have not been that often-just when I needed another HCM, or Dust Collector.   Buying new is not my first choice for big tools.  Most of the large tools I own, since buying a number of new ones in 1974, came off of Craigslist, or from auctions.  I buy a lot of used things, from books, and antique hardware, to a large bandsaw, off ebay, and average probably a few purchases a day.

I build stuff for a living, and my yearly tool budget is from 10 to 20k, but I spread it around as economically as possible.  For instance, I just bought a 20" stationary masonry saw for $550 off of CL that would cost 6k new.  My 24" bandsaw cost $600 off ebay a few years ago, that I needed for one job, but decided to keep it.   A few K does go to odd places for new tools, that can't be had otherwise like: http://www.trowandholden.com/    My case is probably pretty specific and unusual though.   Pride of ownership means next to nothing to me, while it's at the top of the list for a lot of hobbyists.  I just need to get the job done.

1 hour ago, rodger. said:

Call me old fashioned, but I try to buy local if at all possible. I love the machine shop, and like to get my hands on a machine before commiting if at all possible. It also ensures that people in my community have work.

However, I do have Atlas Machinery within an hour's drive, so that is great. If I lived somewhere with no machine shops, it would be different I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.  I certainly understand the desire to buy local.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Yes pretty much everything in my shop came from online I live outside of Zimmerman so getting to tool stores is just not convenient for me. I think the only big power tool I bought locally was my old table saw a PM66 I bought from ACME in Plymouth and perhaps my drill press but that's like 25 years old and I can't remember where it came from might have been 7 corners. 

As I said I work from home so I purchase 95% of everything I buy online, Amazon prime and I are good friends :) 

You are just around the corner from me pk.   I live in Ramsey and spend a lot of time up at Sherburne.

Amazon Prime is a dangerous thing!  So easy to just click and order anything and not think about shipping costs.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

The only tools I've bought new in years, I needed in a pinch, and went to pick them up at Woodworkers Supply, simply because they were closest, I like their store brand,and those rare times have not been that often-just when I needed another HCM, or Dust Collector.   Buying new is not my first choice for big tools.  Most of the large tools I own, since buying a number of new ones in 1974, came off of Craigslist, or from auctions.  I buy a lot of used things, from books, and antique hardware, to a large bandsaw, off ebay, and average probably a few purchases a day.

I build stuff for a living, and my yearly tool budget is from 10 to 20k, but I spread it around as economically as possible.  For instance, I just bought a 20" stationary masonry saw for $550 off of CL that would cost 6k new.  My 24" bandsaw cost $600 off ebay a few years ago, that I needed for one job, but decided to keep it.   A few K does go to odd places for new tools, that can't be had otherwise like: http://www.trowandholden.com/    My case is probably pretty specific and unusual though.   Pride of ownership means next to nothing to me, while it's at the top of the list for a lot of hobbyists.  I just need to get the job done.

I know a lot of people like you Tom.   I wish I had an attitude more like you.   I just struggle with tools that just get the job done.  Seems like the often come with some annoyances that really get to me.   Guys like you are the ones that tend to have everything as opposed to a few great tools.

Thanks for the insight on how and why you buy tools.

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I use CPO for most of my portable power tools. The refurbs do very well for me and their warehouse is only a few miles from my house. If I order before 4 pm it's usually at my front door by 10 am the next morning !

Must be nice!  I both do and don't like that CPO websites are manufacture specific.   It isn't so good when you want to do tool comparisons.

I buy 99% online for a few reasons, I live in the boonies, online gets delivered to my door cheaper than retail, no tax and usually free shipping.  Only downside is waiting a week or so for the tool, which is no big deal to me, I am such a slow woodworker that a week is nothing, can always work on another part while it ships!  I always know when online stuff goes on sale, just register with the various online retailers.  Convenience, I usually buy a Lee Valley (Veritas) $1000 gift card every year for $800 on Black Friday, now the tool I need is 20% off whenever I need it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

I buy 99% online for a few reasons, I live in the boonies, online gets delivered to my door cheaper than retail, no tax and usually free shipping.  Only downside is waiting a week or so for the tool, which is no big deal to me, I am such a slow woodworker that a week is nothing, can always work on another part while it ships!  I always know when online stuff goes on sale, just register with the various online retailers.  Convenience, I usually buy a Lee Valley (Veritas) $1000 gift card every year for $800 on Black Friday, now the tool I need is 20% off whenever I need it!

I love this idea!  I never thought about that.  Unfortunately I would probably spend it all by January.   I'm going to have to think about that at other locations that I shop at regularly

44 minutes ago, SD_Andy said:

You are just around the corner from me pk.   I live in Ramsey and spend a lot of time up at Sherburne.

Yep just up the road!

45 minutes ago, SD_Andy said:

Amazon Prime is a dangerous thing!  So easy to just click and order anything and not think about shipping costs.

Not sure what you mean I pay less than $100 a year and get free shipping for me, my wife, and all three of our adult children. The cost of gas alone would eat that up in no time.

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Yep just up the road!

Not sure what you mean I pay less than $100 a year and get free shipping for me, my wife, and all three of our adult children. The cost of gas alone would eat that up in no time.

Love Amazon Prime, and if you buy it on Black Friday it is only $75.  Not sure about renewal, I will find out this year!

• Like 1