Endless oak

wtnhighlander

22 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I love the design !  I would join you to hide under that table when the New Madrid fault goes off again one day. Pretty sure that's the only fault close to either of us.  It had a little rumble when I was a kid and the only one home. Something fell off the mantle & broke. No one would belive me until the earthquake was on the news that night.

You must be a youngster, Werker!  I'm pretty sure I remember that tremblor as a sophomore in Urbana, Illinois.

Thats a nice looking design Ross.  I am looking forward to this.  Truck going to be in the driveway for a while?

No longer than absolutely necessary!

I started breaking the slabs down into manageable chunks, but didn't have much time to work.

I needed a jigsaw to work around the odd layout, so I grabbed the Kobalt cordless seen in photo 1. Pretty impressed with it so far. A new Bosch 10 ppi blade produced the cross cut in photo 2.

Ripping is another matter....f0d3269864d52ae7665afeb4d23c192a.jpg00b08e7c475462e20a4856d5a2e05d3a.jpg

• Like 2

Slowly "eating the elephant". Slab #1 went pretty well, but slab #2 is a bit thicker. Neither my circular saw nor my jig saw could make the rip cuts all the way through. That, combined with time lost to a mower breakdown, kept me from making much progress today.

Boy, does that oak have an 'interesting' aroma!285d28b73df9d2dd0d1d293df7e93598.jpg

• Like 1

I know a lot of people here don't care for the smell of Red Oak but it is one of the smells that take me back to ninth grade shop.  It was a real common wood used back then for bigger projects.  Everytime I smell it being cut, I can picture the shop and almost everyone's project from that year.  Yea, I know, it's a little weird.

• Like 2