Endless oak

wtnhighlander

I've had a couple of good days making sawdust. The slabs are all broken down into roughly-sized components, and stacked to dry for a bit. Even after 18 months as a slab, and the tree obviously downed for several months prior to sawing, the interior moisture is still higher than I am comfortable with.

BTW - I picked up a new blade for my circular saw, to do the ripping cuts of the breakdown. I got an Irwin-Marples blade from Lowe's, about the highest quality (well, highest price, at least), blade they sell. When I put it on my 30+ yr. old saw, the bolt would get tight, but the blade would spin on the arbor. Seems the plate was so thin that the bolt bottomed out on the arbor. Compared to the dewalt blade it replaced, it was maybe 2-3 thou thinner. The dewalt was dull as a deer horn, so I resorted to an old B&D blade I found in a drawer. At least it was sharp, since I never used it! And it was easily twice as thick as the Irwin blade.

Anyone else run into that problem?

20170910_174728.jpg

On 9/14/2017 at 11:38 PM, K Cooper said:

Life sucks man, sometimes! How friggin thick is that 2nd slab? 

Just a shade over 2-1/4". Circle saw cut depth was about 1/8" shy. Had to finish with a hand saw.

I had to look at that again ... this slab is actually a full 10/4 thick, in rough form!

Edited by wtnhighlander
Misinformation
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

That's a wrong opinion.

I also like Wasted Time and the Meisner track.  Either way, the title track unjustifiably overshadows the entire album.  Can't stand Life in the Fast Lane but you hear it every day on classic hits radio.

Sorry for the hijack Ross (even though you started it :))!  Someone should send you a rose.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

I also like Wasted Time and the Meisner track.  Either way, the title track unjustifiably overshadows the entire album.  Can't stand Life in the Fast Lane but you hear it every day on classic hits radio.

Sorry for the hijack Ross (even though you started it :))!  Someone should send you a rose.

Hotel California is among my least favorite classic rock songs, by the Eagles or otherwise. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, or like hearing someone build a Roubo from alder.

Love all the other tracks you named though. 

Neither Hotel California, nor Life in the Fast Lane hold much interest for me in their story telling, but I enjoy the guitar work in both.

If you like music with a story, and good guitar playing, check out Mark Knopfler's solo work. He also has several cllaborations with other well-known artists.

Two of my favorite Knopfler titles are "Prarie Wedding" and "Private Investigations". And most of the "Shangri-La" album.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Neither Hotel California, nor Life in the Fast Lane hold much interest for me in their story telling, but I enjoy the guitar work in both.

If you like music with a story, and good guitar playing, check out Mark Knopfler's solo work. He also has several cllaborations with other well-known artists.

Two of my favorite Knopfler titles are "Prarie Wedding" and "Private Investigations". And most of the "Shangri-La" album.

Great call Ross. I love private investigations. I saw MK solo in Boston a couple years ago. Very underrated guitarist. He's seldom mentioned up there with the greats but he can play.