Endless oak

wtnhighlander

After fitting the through tenons for the main stretcher, my thoughts turned to motising the ends to receive wedges. At nearlt 6.5" wide, this is no job for my stubby little bench chisels. Even if I managed to drill out much of the waste, there is just too much depth to clean up.

So, I used this as an excuse to drive to Memphis, where the nearest "woodworking" supply store is located. I picked up a Robert Sorby 3/8" mortising chisel. Just wondering your opinions of the brand. They also had a Crown brand that was about $10 higher. The crown has a tang style blade, wood handle (looked lime ash), and ferrules at both ends of the grip. Bit it just felt chitzy in my hand. The Sorby has a tang/socket combo (I think), with a beefy handle that seems to be a composite material. No ferrules. 

Should I worry about this thing splitting apart when I start beating it with a mallet?

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I've been wanting to pull the trigger, now you've convinced me! 

Coop, this is no tool to be fumble-fingered with, if you are prone to woodworking in flip-flops (or at our age, sandals & black socks?). I'm pretty sure it would have nailed my foot to the horse mat I was standing on, had I dropped it. Murphy would ensure the edge would be down.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I've got a Sorby corner chisel that has held up very well for me. Not a sign of any problems in at least 10 years of use.

Steve, I googled it but it doesn't show a profile. Is it just that, only for the corners,  with a three sided cut? Probably a dumb question:huh:

• 1 month later...