Found the problem... and new tool to solve it.

Cygnus A

I've got a 40+"year old Starrett set like that and it's still accurate.  24" blade alone was $100 back then.

If you can't afford Starrett quality & price take a look at Harry Epstein for PEC squares (Products Engineering Corp.) They sell cosmetic seconds. Still very accurate but slight imperfections, mostly tiny gaps in the black infill of the engraved measurements, at least that's all I could ever find. 

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/12-4-pc-combination-square-16r-usa.html

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I've got a 40+"year old Starrett set like that and it's still accurate.  24" blade alone was $100 back then.

If you can't afford Starrett quality & price take a look at Harry Epstein for PEC squares (Products Engineering Corp.) They sell cosmetic seconds. Still very accurate but slight imperfections, mostly tiny gaps in the black infill of the engraved measurements, at least that's all I could ever find. 

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/12-4-pc-combination-square-16r-usa.html

+1

The only thing I have been able to find on my 3 PEC squares is the intentionally scratched out the "PEC" 

It's hard to have too many different sized squares. The little double squares they have at Epstein are very reasonably priced.  I got several of the combination square screw/lock/nut replacements to have on hand. Over the years I've worn a few out and then they slip. I just looked and they only have a few PEC tools that are "blemish " right now. So y'all might have gotten the good ones. 

The only PEC square I've ever had issues with was the one I bought from Lee Valley. :unsure:  It's square but the locking mechanism is sticky.  Every one of Harry's squares have been perfect.  And I have a pile of 'em.  I have several of the 4" doubles and I use them about 90% of the time I reach for a square.  Love those little guys.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eric. said:

The only PEC square I've ever had issues with was the one I bought from Lee Valley. :unsure:  It's square but the locking mechanism is sticky.  Every one of Harry's squares have been perfect.  And I have a pile of 'em.  I have several of the 4" doubles and I use them about 90% of the time I reach for a square.  Love those little guys.

I have a Lee Valley 4" square and it's my go to as well - awesome size for furniture making.