frivolous spending (Incra 5000 review on page 2)

Eric.

Didn't need it, bought it anyway.  I haven't treated myself to a new toy in a long time.  It doesn't really solve any problems that needed solving, but it's a fancy new addition that will be fun to use.  Very cool sled.  With a stupid price tag.

My only complaint is how the base is two pieces which means getting out and putting away two pieces every time I use it.  A really minor detail but you'd think the geniuses at Incra could figure out a way to make it a single unit.  Also the miter bar for the cutoff side is kind of cheesy aluminum instead of the nice solid steel bar on the sled side.  Also a very minor complaint since the cutoff side is simply locked in place during operation.  But still.  For the price they should pull out all the stops.

mDyG8P3.jpg

• Like 2

That is a neat deal. Not something I would have thought you would buy, but something I might throw down the stash for! It's always nice to have a new toy, regardless of how hard it is to justify it. One of these days I'm going to buy me another Cushman Eagle, similar to the three I had growing up throwing newspapers. Where do the two parts separate? Probably down the gold line, but how do you break them apart?

Eric, been eying one of those for awhile, be interested in your thoughts after you use it for awhile.  I currently have a delta unisaw (older model) and it has a sliding crosscut table that replaces the left wing of the saw.  It is ok and accurate once it is dialed in but I am wondering if the Incra sled would be the better way to go.

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Where do the two parts separate? Probably down the gold line, but how do you break them apart?

It's separated at the blade.  There's nothing to keep the two sides connected like the fence does on a shop-made sled.

Like I said, was definitely not a "need" purchase.  My plywood sled cuts dead nuts 90s and my Incra miter gauge was fine for most angled cuts.  This thing offers more clamping and stop options, larger capacity, and obviously the no friction part like you have with a miter gauge.

2 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Eric, been eying one of those for awhile, be interested in your thoughts after you use it for awhile.  I currently have a delta unisaw (older model) and it has a sliding crosscut table that replaces the left wing of the saw.  It is ok and accurate once it is dialed in but I am wondering if the Incra sled would be the better way to go.

Eh, tough to say.  In all honesty a sled is really a poor excuse for a sliding table.  If yours won't stay calibrated then yeah I guess that's a problem.  But if you like the function of the slider and it's part of your workflow I might spend my time/money trying to get that thing dialed in and working perfectly instead of dropping 300 beans on MDF and aluminum. LOL

If I won the lottery and had the space I'd probably buy a big slider.  But I'm stuck in this puny garage so the sleds will have to do.

13 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

It's always nice to have a new toy, regardless of how hard it is to justify it.

I find that I get cranky and all "I'm sacrificing too much" if I don't purchase a frivolous item every now and again.

I think of it as good for my marriage. I mean, who the hell wants me all cranky? My wife certainly doesn't deserve it...:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

So the right side of the blade stays stationary? 

That's right Coop, I think it is just to support the off cut. 

It's tempting to pick one up, but I'll wait to see how you like it Eric.  I need to build a new crosscut sled, and I'm not happy with any of my miter gauges, this sled might solve all.  It's a big piece to store though. 

1 minute ago, davewyo said:

I find that I get cranky and all "I'm sacrificing too much" if I don't purchase a frivolous item every now and again.

I think of it as good for my marriage. I mean, who the hell wants me all cranky. My wife certainly doesn't deserve it...:)

That's  good enough to quote and have printed and hang in my shop! Thanks man! I really don't need it as my wife is pretty cool, but I like it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

It's separated at the blade.  There's nothing to keep the two sides connected like the fence does on a shop-made sled.

Like I said, was definitely not a "need" purchase.  My plywood sled cuts dead nuts 90s and my Incra miter gauge was fine for most angled cuts.  This thing offers more clamping and stop options, larger capacity, and obviously the no friction part like you have with a miter gauge.

Eh, tough to say.  In all honesty a sled is really a poor excuse for a sliding table.  If yours won't stay calibrated then yeah I guess that's a problem.  But if you like the function of the slider and it's part of your workflow I might spend my time/money trying to get that thing dialed in and working perfectly instead of dropping 300 beans on MDF and aluminum. LOL

If I won the lottery and had the space I'd probably buy a big slider.  But I'm stuck in this puny garage so the sleds will have to do.

Good point, as you stated the biggest issue I have had is needing to spend several hours dialing the table in perfectly, but once done as long as I don't move the saw it stays in position.  I also think buying stuff every now and then that you don't necessarily need is good for the soul!

1 minute ago, bleedinblue said:

It's tempting to pick one up, but I'll wait to see how you like it Eric.  I need to build a new crosscut sled, and I'm not happy with any of my miter gauges, this sled might solve all.  It's a big piece to store though. 

I bought a cheap ass one from Rockler. One day, I needed to make a 45* cut and figured it wouldn't matter on the sled and ran it through. Boy was I mistaken. Now I have a 45* sled! 

6 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

It's a big piece to store though. 

It kind of looks that way, and the fence is definitely long.  But it'll easily tuck under the table saw for storage...unless that space is already filled.

3 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

I also think buying stuff every now and then that you don't necessarily need is good for the soul!

Agree. :D

Try convincing my wife.

7 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Or wait to buys E's in two weeks cause he tires of it or it ain't perfect;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Woodenskye said:

Nice purchase E!  Was this the basement is finally finished present to yourself?  

LOL I wish.  However I have accomplished a ton of work down there this summer.  I'm currently wrapping up casings and baseboard and the "living room" half will be ready to start filling with furniture by this weekend.  Still have quite a bit of work remaining on the bar side but the cabinets, granite and appliances are all in.

I also built the first furniture piece for the basement over the summer, and as soon as I get things set up down there I'll take pics and do a showcase thread.

Eric, you’ll find it a great addition to the shop. I have one of those I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. Used it tonight, in fact. You’ll be amazed how much extra depth you get using the sled versus just a miter gauge. I crosscut some 24” wide panels with it tonight. Enjoy,

I have a flatness issue with the base of the sled.  Didn't notice it until late last night when I went to do some test cuts.  It has a hump at the connector and it dips down toward the blade.  The error is bad enough that a square against the blade shows lots of light.  Called Incra and they're sending me a new base, no arguing needed.  We'll see if this resolves it and I'll report back later.  Pretty irritating but Incra doesn't manufacture the MDF so I guess I'll give them a pass...for now.

10 minutes ago, Llama said:

Why can't stuff just work out the box with no headaches?

For the money you spent on the sled, it should be perfect. They should be doing some QC work before the stuff goes out the door.

Yeah couldn't agree more.  It's really disappointing to pay for high quality tools and they arrive imperfect in any way.  Seems par for the course for me though.  Not sure if I'm just extra picky or what, but there's almost always some problem with everything I buy.  Except my hand tools...never seem to have an issue with those.  But machines and accessories...way more often than one would expect.  I've had more issues with Festools than anyone I know.

When I bought my used tablesaw it came with an Incra 1000HD and the Miter Express and I really like it. The size seems to fine, but I wish the guy had bought the Miter 5000 like you. I can never seem to find a place to store it and taking off the cutoff side is a pain if you use your table saw top for other things or need to use your fence. Also a pain if you need to change your blade.

It looks cool and looking forward to seeing how you like it and if moving around 2 pieces becomes old. Are you looking for it to be your one-stop for all crosscuts instead of using your Kapex and/or MFT?

I checked Hartville and they carry every Incra miter gauge except the 5000 so no 15% off for those looking to buy (unless I missed something). 

EDIT: Looks like you can get 10% off at Carbide Processors using 'creekers' and free shipping. Seems like they keep changing the free shipping from automatic to needing a coupon every month. As of now you can get both 10% off and free shipping but next month who knows. 

3 hours ago, Llama said:

Why can't stuff just work out the box with no headaches?

For the money you spent on the sled, it should be perfect. They should be doing some QC work before the stuff goes out the door.

That's the reason I buy stuff from HF. My expectations are much lower and the few times it last until I get home with it, is Lagniappe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

It looks cool and looking forward to seeing how you like it and if moving around 2 pieces becomes old. Are you looking for it to be your one-stop for all crosscuts instead of using your Kapex and/or MFT?

I checked Hartville and they carry every Incra miter gauge except the 5000 so no 15% off for those looking to buy (unless I missed something). 

EDIT: Looks like you can get 10% off at Carbide Processors using 'creekers' and free shipping. Seems like they keep changing the free shipping from automatic to needing a coupon every month. As of now you can get both 10% off and free shipping but next month who knows. 

I'll still do long crosscuts on the Kapex and larger panels on the MFT.  My old shop-made sled will still be used for quick and dirty crosscutting.  The 5000 will be used mostly for angles or other precision cuts, or when odd clamping or stop block usage is needed.

I got mine from Carbide Processors with the discount and free shipping...but it took like three weeks to get it.